Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rump Roast on the EGG?

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day, I happened to buy a nice looking piece of beef - 3 + lbs. Butcher said it was "Bottom Round Roast" and that it was very good grilled. Came home. My wife (a food chemist & nutritionist) took one look at it and said that is a "rump roast." (A rump roast by any other name is still a rump roast) Not only that she said in order to make rump tender, moist heat needs to be applied to break down the "elastin" and the "collagen" both of which make that cut of meat quite tough unless roasted in a covered roaster with moisture added. [p]But I was determined to experiment. Put the rump on the EGG, cooked it indirect, drip pan filled with water, meat on rack above. Cooked at 325-350 for 3 hours or about an hour per lb. Since rump is a roast I followed wife's advice and took the internal temp. up to 175. (Should have been higher like 180-85 but maybe that would begin drying it out)[p]My Result: Meat was juicy and tasty. However, if rump is cut too thick for serving it will be rather chewy. When cut paper thin it is very good much more tender. [p]Next day we used the left-over like a "Philadelphia steak sandwich". Cut cold meat, paper thin, w/ sliced raw vidallia onion topped with melted American Cheese on a fresh home-made sesame bun! DELICIOUS.[p]I will certainly do this again, even though the rump is not super tender. It is very tasty. [p]Anthony[p]Going through the archives I ran across some posts

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]Yep, rump roast = read "butt steak". Its tough stuff and needs to be cooked down. I can't remember now what CW and I cooked awhile back but it was a TOUGH cut of meat. I tried to do it in 2-3 hours and it just didn't cut it, needed more time at a slower cook. The meat tasted great but was a little tough on the teeth. Ended up cutting it thin for sammiches like you. Fun to try different cuts of meat to see how they cook. General rule of thumb for me is if its a cut from the cow/pig of a muscle that gets used alot, its tough. Those muscles that do not get used much are much more tender. The leg and shoulder muscles are generally tough, the chest is usually more tender. Could be wrong on this but its my simple guide that I use.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    I am not sure a long slow cook on that lean cut would do more than just dry it out. I would do it either like a huge steak and sear it super good or cook it like a brisket and go for 190-195 and slice for sandwiches. Ofcourse you could grind it up for burgers too. I did a chuck roast slow once and didn't like it.[p]Tim

• sprinter, You nailed it!