Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Fishing

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
Growing up, my dad was not much of an outdoorsman, so I have not really been exposed to hunting and fishing.  I have been fishing with my grandfather, but I have not been in probably 20 years. I am 30 now.

I have started a new job and one of my coworkers has invited me to go fishing this weekend. I am really excited to go, but I have no clue what I am doing and I do not want to look like an idiot out there.  

Any advice is welcome.
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Don't fake it  Ask questions and watch what they are doing and imitate.  I have been hunting for years fishing some and when ever a new person joins they have a better experience and we enjoy there company better without the pretense.  Also, Remember no one starts out as an expert. 
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm right with you. Never went fishing as a kid. Had a lake a couple hundred yards from my parents house growing up but never found much interest in it. Going fishing as well with a bunch of fishers this weekend. I'm sure I'll look like an idiot. Fish have always been ugly and nasty to touch. Must be some sensory thing with me. I'll hold snake and spiders all day long but fish are just weird. Slimy and their heart's racing a million miles an hour is just something my mind says no to. Going to see if I can fix some of that this weekend. I love the idea of kicking back and fishing but just haven't given it much of a chance. I completely get what you're saying. Have to start somewhere
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    +1 @Texansurf says - BTW what type of fishing will you be doing? bait? casting? fly? surf? deep sea?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Ask questions, be straight up with the co-worker that you haven't done this but you are interested in learning ( hopefully you are). The fact  that you got a invite from someone at your new place of employment is great. Go and have some fun, and enjoy the day. Hopefully you will catch something.
    :Fish On"
    Large, small, and a mini
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    I think we are going bass fishing on Lake Tawakoni, in north texas. I have a rod and reel that i bought a couple of years ago, but I have not had the opportunity to use it yet.  

@smokesniffer - I am very interested in fishing and I would love to make it a more consistent hobby.

I guess yall are right, you have to start somewhere.  Everyone was a beginner at some time.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

With bass fishing, you will do a lot of casting.

I'd put a sinker on the end of your line and practice some casts in the backyard with a target, backhands too if you will be on a boat.

Also, learn a simple, classic knot like the Palomar knot.  That way you can switch lures without interrupting the others.   

Do not cast over someone's line.  And be cognisant of where your treble hooks are when casting.  My cousin put a Rapala through my uncle's face.  A trip to the ED to cut it out was fun.

My brother gets a little pissy when I chuck a lure into a tree on the bank or backlash with the baitcaster.  That is how we show our love, talking kaka. lol

Have fun!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if its bass, get some rubber worms and senkos and some big worm hooks. its as simple as cast, let the worm drop to the bottom, reel it in. ask him how to tie the hook on
    :D  ask all the questions you can think of, thats what i do when i travel out of the area and i fish alot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Learn the right way to hold bait caster and spinning reels.  Other info above is good like knots. 

Also etiquette, some people don't care, others are anal.  https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/boating-all/469-boating-articles-on-theonlinefishermancom/4905-fishing-101-etiquette
    Options
    what nola said, nothing screams novice more than seeing a guy reel a spinning reel upside down and backwards. hopefully you bought the spinning reel and not the bait caster to start out with, alot easier to learn with
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    And if you fart in the boat blame the drumfish...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Put new line on your reel, if it's a few years old it's got memory or dry rotted

LBGE

BTFU!

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    RRP said:
    And if you fart in the boat blame the drumfish...
    Hysterical and true - but you can not use that when bass fishing. Well.. I guess you could...

All the advise provided above is good, accurate and true.  Since you are the new guy - do the things you know you can do and has to be done.- get the ice and drinks. Carry/provide the cooler. Help with holding the rod while the other guys is unhooking the fish that he caught (if needed). Ask what you can do when they are doing things and you feel you are not contributing - they will give you a job. Practice humility, and be self deprecating. And if you really want to get a strike - do not pay attention or really care. The new guy who is not that interested or really paying attention always gets the big one for the day.

Finally - practice cursing - there is never a shortage of that on a boat - unless there are young kids - and even then....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Practice drinking beer too - a very important fishing skill. Bring beer - fishing friends can ignore a lot of novice moves if you bring some good suds. No PBR ...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @bhugg you have to start somewhere, and it is all good, we all were starting out at some point. I had a person once who I took out, he was new to fishing, but he knew everything there was to knew about fishing. Sad thing was he didn't know much and it showed. Just ask questions and I am sure your friend guide will help you out. Have a great time, catching something is the bonus.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    Ask questions beforehand. Get recommendations on what to bring, like bait, lures, etc. learns the state regulations. Size and fish limits.
    In my experience most anglers are eager to help.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't use a baitcaster...If they fish a lot they'll have good gear. Ask to borrow one.. hate to lose a 7 lb bass on a $40 rod
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited May 2014
    Options
    No matter what happens, remember the saying.

"The worst day fishing is still better than the best day working"

My experience also is serious fisherman go fishing alone, a group of guys going fishing is more about having a good day relaxing with good friends than it is about catching fish.  "Going fishing" is the excuse to go hang with the guys, catching fish is just the icing on the cake.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.