Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get my steaks right

Options
2»

Comments

• ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm kind of partial to reverse sear on my steaks mainly because cooking at high temp so far hasn't enabled me to hit the right finish (med rare).  
    XL Owner
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    @Cowdogs thanks ill use that next time..like tomorrow. The good part of catching a mess of fish  :D
    Beaufort, SC
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    Options
    My guess regarding the charcoal taste is either (1) you’re not waiting for the lump to get a thin ash cover before cooking, or (2) the EVOO and/or pepper are getting scorched.

I agree with @cazzy regarding losing the EVOO, but even better than butter… try using rendered fat from the same steak’s trimmings. 

Try adding pepper on after you’ve flipped the steak for the last time (if you want to pepper both sides do the second side right after taking your steak off the grill), that way it doesn’t come in direct contact with the fire and doesn’t char, and yet, the heat/moisture from the steak has a chance to extract its flavor.

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    Awesome advice folks!!!! 

I remember hearing about EVOO low smoke point while watching South Park a few years ago (the Creme Fraiche episode where Randy gets addicted to the Food Network- fricken hilarious!).

Interesting comments about letting the charcoal settle.  I suspect this is the culprit (along w/ the EVOO).

Regarding lump charcoal- what's the ideal size? 

I've been using Fogo (via amazon.com). Their pieces are a lot bigger than BGE or Stubb's brands of lump charcoal. Fogo's pieces range from baseball to a little larger than a brick.
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options
    Try hemp oil.  It'll taste like crap but you won't care.  

Hemp oil doesn't provide enough THC. Now if you extract the oil from the other plant in the same cannabis family... You could grill up Twinkies and it would be the best BBQ ever. :D

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone...

I gave it another try last night, skipping the EVOO and waiting to put the pepper on, after flipping.  I also let the BGE heat up for about 20 minutes before putting the steaks on.

Definitely a lot better.  I slightly over cooked them, but the taste was a helluva lot better.