Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Duper WAY OT- Anyone Ever Put In a Home Run Pex System Themselves?

Options
Hello friends, I'm looking at replacing choked up galvanized. Pex looks cheap and easy.. Reliable.... And a home run system seems to fix a lot of pressure problems I've had as well. Videos make it look more than easy. Is this something a guy with almost no actual plumbing experience can tackle without too much trouble? Or should I just get a contractor and be done with it? What was your experience? Thanks. Sorry for the OT. 8-Damien
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It is pretty straightforward. When you buy it get them to show you how to use the removal tool. Sharkbite connectors are worth the extra money

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I rented PEX tools from local tool rental place and within minutes had much better success than I ever had with copper. I was not doing a home run system, just a small addition. Using manifold delivery will negate almost all pressure issues from what I've seen.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Yes. It is super easy. I replumbed my parents entire house. Didn't use home runs, but it wouldn't be hard to do so.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Take your time, and it is pretty easy. The sharkbite fittings mentioned are very nice, but to expensive to justify. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Yeah let me know if you need my advice. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    Options
    Not to barge in but when you guys reran the PEX did you run it up through the walls as well? Or just what you had access to, like in the basement? If so how did you handle the connections? As in when the pipe was cut wasn't the section that went up into the walls loose?

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Actually better response than I was expecting. Thanks guys.

Is there any pipe slapping in the walls when you just feed them though and don't secure them to the joists?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• cortguitarman
    Options
    You won't get water hammer like you do with copper, but you should try to secure them. It will make noise but won't be as loud. When I did my parents house, all of the plumbing for the entire house went up through the garage wall, so tearing put sheet rock on the garage side made wasn't an issue. If you are connecting to existing pipes in the wall, you have to use shark bite fittings. If you need to tee off to another fixture, get inline manifolds. They keep the water pressure equalized. (Think flushing toilet and getting scalded by the shower).

My only other experience with PEX is when I did my basement. It was unfinished so plumbing it was easy. Although, it does have 3 sinks, a toilet, and a shower.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Sounds like getting my guy to do the line from the street into the basement is the only thing I really need.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• cortguitarman
    Options
    When I did mine I used blue and red tubing for hot and cold. It's nice if you have to open up a wall later. You know what lime you are looking at and tapping into.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    rcone said:
    Take your time, and it is pretty easy. The sharkbite fittings mentioned are very nice, but to expensive to justify. 
    My impression was he was just running one line.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Yes. It is super easy. I replumbed my parents entire house. Didn't use home runs, but it wouldn't be hard to do so.
    Did you just leave the old pipe in the wall?

rcone said:
    My impression was he was just running one line.
    It's a whole house replumb.  :/
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry, I wouldn't use the sharkbite then.

Steve 

Caledon, ON