Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will cooking two butts take more time?

Options
I've got two 9 pounders to cook on the large. I will have both of them on the same grid level. I think it took me about 12-14 hours to knock out one about this size at about 250 degrees. How much longer to do two of these beasts (18 lbs total).
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    No. They will each cook at their own pace because every piece of meat is different. Cooking multiples at a time, however, will not increase cooking time. I've done 6 on my XL with similar timing to one.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I won't increase your time at all but at 250 you might be looking at 18+ hours.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    +1 with the guys above... sometimes i find when i do multiple butts that one may come off hours before the rest. i usually pull at 204 and ftc but ive had some the same size and shape be 3hours apart... just depends i guess. but still figure 1.5-2hrs/lb will get you close... also consider turbo, 350 until IT 200ish and your done..usually 6-10hrs
    good luck either way
    Beaufort, SC
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I knocked out a single 10 pounder in 13 hours at 260 dome. Is that unusual???
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    There will be maybe an hour for the greater cold mass to heat. What everyone else says about the butts having their own finish times. That said, more often than not one will finish within an hour of the other.

Steve 

Caledon, ON