Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

25# bird. Will one load of lump do it?

Options
Mik of Alaska
Mik of Alaska Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if one load of lump will do a 25 # bird?? Beyond my control it seems that no one sells lump in Alaska. I got more ordered coming from Texas but it will be awhile. I don't have the drums yet to make my own so any info will be appriciated. I do have some brickets but only in an emergency. Mik

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    If you load it up into the fire ring or close to it you will be fine.

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Bobby-Q, That's exactly how much fresh lump I had left. I'm about an inch below the platesetter and I was hoping that would make it. Thanks again. Mik

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    A firebox full of lump running at 325 or 350 degrees should last many more hours than that turkey will take. Enjoy!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    Based on the size of the turkey, and the amout of lump you stated you put in; I agree with the Whiz, you have plenty, and will have a lot left over.
    If you are in doubt, I believe your fears are without merit. I would suggest that, if your fears persist, that you follow Elder Ward's lump suggestion when he prepares for a lo & slo. However, I don't believe that you'll want to keep it(turkey) on for some 18/20 hours.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Hammer