Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - ever hear of this?

Options
A caterer told me yesterday that he smokes several hundred pounds of brisket at a time in his big commercial smoker.  He said he pulls them after the stall at about 175 and freezes them.  He takes them out as needed and finishes them off in a couple of hours in an oven.  Anyone ever tried this?  He claims that the final product is indistinguishable from cooking all the way in one session and much more easy to manage the timing.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Never heard of it but if his customers like it then there must be some truth to it.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Makes sense to me.  Pull and freeze when they're nearly done...then they can be warmed up / finished much faster as needed.

When we oven cook braised brisket, we cook it in two steps...it cooks a couple hours whole, then gets refrigerated, preferably overnight.  The next day, we skim most of the fat off the top of the liquid, slice it, put it back in the pan, and cook it a couple more hours.  The end result is sliced brisket that will fall apart if you grab a slice by one end and can be eaten with just a fork.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Restaurants have all kinds of methods...try it and let us know.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    njl said:
    Makes sense to me.  Pull and freeze when they're nearly done...then they can be warmed up / finished much faster as needed.

When we oven cook braised brisket, we cook it in two steps...it cooks a couple hours whole, then gets refrigerated, preferably overnight.  The next day, we skim most of the fat off the top of the liquid, slice it, put it back in the pan, and cook it a couple more hours.  The end result is sliced brisket that will fall apart if you grab a slice by one end and can be eaten with just a fork.
    I can see where this method would work for a restaurant or caterer. My preference, however, is for a slice of brisket that does not fall apart when picked up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    There is a rumor this is the method that rudy's employs..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Rudy's? Or do you mean Salt Lick? Salt Lick cooks everything to about 80% on a gas grill, then refrigerates the meat. The following morning, they heat everything up on their open pits. As a Texsan, that process makes me incredibly sad.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Could be...rumor is only as good as it's source :)

Agree on salt lick, they openly say most all steps, just leave out that one!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I have heard la barbeque uses a ninja to slice their brisket...

http://www.statesman.com/videos/news/la-samurai-barbecue/vCXwS3/
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I have heard la barbeque uses a ninja to slice their brisket...

http://www.statesman.com/videos/news/la-samurai-barbecue/vCXwS3/

That's freaking great!!! Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....