Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heating a Honey Baked Ham

Options
Bmeier
Bmeier Posts: 16
I have a honey baked ham for the honey baked ham store that someone has given me as a gift to cook for Easter and was going to hear it up on my XL egg. I was thinking about 225 or so indirect on my adjustable rig. I was not going to add any smoke since all I need to do is warm it up to 145. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    You can do it exactly as you described.  I have always added a bit more smoke though, myself.

There are other methods (double-smoked ham, egret's ham, etc.) that come up from time to time, but if all you want to do is heat it to 145, then yes, you can do just that. Just treat the egg like an oven.

If it is spiral sliced, you might want to consider foiling it, as I have found they can dry out. Foil means no extra smoke, too, although you can do half the cook with it off, and half on.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I really like to add sugar maple for smoke. Awesome flavor. @mickey does a naked ham with maple smoke only, not sure of his cook temps but I run 275-300.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I really like to add sugar maple for smoke. Awesome flavor. @mickey does a naked ham with maple smoke only, not sure of his cook temps but I run 275-300.

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of Sugar Maple and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect. New item: just did spiral and worked out fine. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bmeier
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far. The ham is spiraled cut, bone in, 10 lbs. I have done egrets before and it was great just not to an already honey cure ham. I would like to add a little smoke, I was thinking some applewood . I was also going to put some apple juice in a pan to keep,some moisture going and then foil half way through. Should I do a little honey bourbon glaze?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2014
    Options
    If advice is what you want. No water pan at all. Notice I am using a pan but just has salt to catch the drippings. No foil needed. Put it on at 300 and pull at 135 period. I like to score it deep. Don't over think this, it's just a pre-cooked ham. It will be great. Extra smoke makes it all better. Enjoy
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1 This method makes a ham taste like a ham. Nice and clean with a bit of smoke.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Bmeier
    Options
    That sounds like a plan! Any idea on how many minutes per pound it might take at 300?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    10 pounds, my guess - maybe 2 or 3 hours to 135-145F starting at 34F.  You can adjust the temp to speed it up or slow it down and have it ready when you want it ready.  Check it now and then and adjust...a stall isn't going to be an issue with this type of reheating.
    Options
    Ham can handle the smoke
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I dont think I would add any other flsvirs or glaze. The honey baked hams are already pretty sweet. Your plan sounds solid.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I dont think I would add any other flavors or glaze. The honey baked hams are already pretty sweet. Your plan sounds solid.
    Typing on Kindle Fire before I had my coffee. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if its one of those expensive ham store hams i would just warm it up to take the chill off it and cook a cheap supermarket ham to 140 internal with smoke
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I did a ham last Easter, just heard it for an hour or so.