Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re heating a pork butt

Options
So this weekend I am going to cook two boneless pork butts from costco since they come in one package. Ive done it before, 225 for 14hrs and they were great. They were about 7lbs each. I took them to 195 degrees and let them rest in a cooler for 3hrs. My question is, I'm going to cook them the day before we eat and need to know the best way to re heat the bbq.  
Durham, NC

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    @RRP has a method that involves coke. Never tried it, but hopefully he'll chime in.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @RRP has a method that involves coke. Never tried it, but hopefully he'll chime in.

Thanks for the tip of the hat, Chris, but my method is not mine as I learned it years ago so I take no credit ...OK? Use original Coke. None of that flavored nor diet Coke crap and NO Pepsi! Just reheat your pulled pork with say 12 oz per 3 to 5 pounds of pulled pork. Just don't tell people you used it as they get a weird idea in their mind that it will taste or look funny, but it won't!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Willieb9000
    Options
    Should it be covered to reheat, Ron? I assume yes.
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    Normally, I use a crock pot to reheat pulled pork. Since I wrap the meat in foil for the last few hours, and add some liquid, I always have a lot of tasty juice left at the end of the cook. If I need to add more, I use Coke or more apple juice. 

Now that I have a sous vide cooker, I'll probably keep the meat vacuum sealed and reheat it in the water bath. This is an amazing way to handle leftovers, they come out good as new. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Should it be covered to reheat, Ron? I assume yes.
    yes...and use low heat and stir from time to time
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've used both coke and apple juice with great results.  Just place pulled pork in oven safe pan with liquid, cover with foil and heat in a 225 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  I usually only put 1/4-3/4 cup.  Enjoy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks for the help I would have never thought to use coke.
    Durham, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There are lots of ways to reheat and I have tried quite a few. Including the coke thing. Once. IMO, by far the worst of the lot. Yes, I used real coke, though I don't remember how much I used. I do know that won't ever try it again. YMMV of course.

My current method is steaming. Seems to work pretty well and even stays hot longer. I wish there was a way for me to eat a whole butt fresh off the egg. It's just not the same re-heated. But anything is better than coke!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks for weighing in with your opinion of how horrible the Coke method was to you. It's funny how popular that time honored and widely used method has been for years, but if you, Michael, don't like it then so be it.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I have tried a few, found chicken broth to be my favorite.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I did a reheat of about 60 pounds raw (about 40 cooked) with coke in electric roasters a few weeks ago. Turned out great, the challenge was I had to stir it often to keep the sides and bottom from scorching. In a pan in an oven covered with foil would have been easier.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:
    I did a reheat of about 60 pounds raw (about 40 cooked) with coke in electric roasters a few weeks ago. Turned out great, the challenge was I had to stir it often to keep the sides and bottom from scorching. In a pan in an oven covered with foil would have been easier.
    The key word was "scorching" which IMO means your heat setting was too high. What has always surprised me with the Coke method has been at end there is never any brown colored liquid left in the pan or crock pot - just some clear liquid that looks like very clear water which I assume it is.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

DMW said:

The key word was "scorching" which IMO means your heat setting was too high. What has always surprised me with the Coke method has been at end there is never any brown colored liquid left in the pan or crock pot - just some clear liquid that looks like very clear water which I assume it is.

Yeah, the electric roaster were rather old. Some were better than the others at not scorching. Who know how many rodeos they had been through. Which is why I think an oven would have been better. The heating elements are just too close to the meat in a roaster IMHO. It turned out fine and I got heaps of compliments, but I noticed when I was stirring. I'm sure when it was fine when all mixed together no one noticed a few bits were drier than the rest.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker