Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT.. Beekeeping, but it could have some effect on egging so maybe it's not to OT

Options
awm
awm Posts: 181
I've been wanting to get into beekeeping and now I'm really looking for the equipment. I do cook a lot with honey so that would be a plus for my egg. Do any of you guys beekeep, and if so any advice for a new guy? And if theres anyone in GA that knows where I could get a decent deal on some of the stuff let me know. Thanks

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I used to commercial bee keep, years ago, Im not anywhere close to you. Are you living in the country? Not sure neighbours in town would like to see bees flying through their yards to get to yours.
    Back in the day we could get 90 -200 lbs of honey per hive, depending on the year. When I left the commercial side of it, I had 4 hives and a home made extractor. That was plenty of honey for us and family. Not sure what your winter is like, some colder climates kill bees off in the winter and start fresh in the spring. Or if it is mild enough, the bees were fed sugar over winter. You would need about 4-5 supers (boxes) per hive, smoker, we burnt burlap in it for smoke, a honey knife, and a mask. 
    It was very enjoyable to do. Be prepared to get stung, it is all part of it. Hope it works out for you.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • awm
    Options
    Yea I'll be doing it on my mother in laws horse farm so I'll have some room. I want to have about 2 hives myself. How did you make an extractor. Those things aren't cheap, and the hives really aren't either. I'm hoping I can find some used stuff.
  • CosmicVoyager
    CosmicVoyager Posts: 81
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I would recommend that you keep an epipen around in case you or someone else needs it. The downfall is that they are expensive and expire. I'm also considering becoming a bee keeper.
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    We had one hive last year. We lost it to wasps driving the bees out as the stole the honey.

After going to several meetings and attending a few classes I would suggest getting new hive material. This is due to possible disease from someone's old leftovers. There are several places in Georgia that sell everything you need.

Try checking out YouTube. I like the fatbeeman.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2014
    Options
    My BIL is an avid beekeeper.  He knows more about bees than the average beekeeper would care to know and he'll talk your ear off about bees.  He's in Birmingham.  Let me know and I'll hook you up with him via email.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @awm hey if you can get nola to hook u up with someone close, that would be awesome. I would go with new equipment too, as per Smokin Trout. Nothing like having some fresh honeycomb to chew on once you get the girls building honeycomb.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • awm
    Options
    My BIL is an avid beekeeper.  He knows more about bees than the average beekeeper would care to know and he'll talk your ear off about bees.  He's in Birmingham.  Let me know and I'll hook you up with him via email.

If you don't think he'll care if I shoot him an email I gladly will. I'm trying to get as much advice as I can before I get going with it.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    No thanks
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    On the subject of bees and honey. Recent years I've seen a significant drop in honey bees around my citrus tree blooms, azaleas, gardenias, confederate jasmine, honeysuckle etc etc. This year...boom they're back:-). And I expect that to help with fruit production and should help the local bee keepers. My absolute favorite honey is orange or citrus honey. We also get gallon jugs of wildflower honey from our close friends in Denton, GA right outside Broxton, GA (they farm blueberries and they have a bee keeper that is fairly close by they get fresh honey from).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    awm said:

If you don't think he'll care if I shoot him an email I gladly will. I'm trying to get as much advice as I can before I get going with it.
    PM'd you email address.

He's not a professional bee keeper, but he's had a few hives for years and he's a major biology nerd (PhD, MD, etc)....he reads biochemistry textbooks for fun.  Don't ask him about biological energy conversion pathways.  I sold him a giant microscope last year.  Loves research.
    Options
    Bees or meth?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I think he probably makes more money from the meth.  He's a cardiologist.   Amateur bee keeper.