Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg-o-Lamb w/pic's

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Leg-o-lamb is great on the egg. Diane went nuts over this one. Cooked indirect at 325 dome until I hit 145 internal, a 4 minute rest in aluminum while I removed the platesetter and watched the egg shoot up to 600 for searing. 15 minutes later my sear was good, went back into my cave, sampled the wine while the meat rested and then took a few pic’s.
Clay

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

[p]

Comments

• locolongball
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Looks Great! We had leftovers all day today :-(
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Looks great! I was very pleased with mine last night as well. I was especially surprised that my wife raved about it as she isn't a big fan of lamb. My kids ate it too, but both said they weren't crazy about it. Hats off to them for giving it a try though! As you might guess, the odds were stacked against me, but it seemed to work.[p]I butterflied mine and smeared the inside with an aioli of 8 oz butter, 12 cloves garlic, and chopped fresh mint and rosemary. Rolled it up and tired it. Pulled at 140-143. Didn't come out quite as pretty as yours, but still had some pink to it. Your Concannon Merlot was probably a great pairing. We had a Fetzer Cab I found laying around that got involved.

• Clay Q
    Options
    WDAN,
    12 cloves of garilc! Wahoooooo. That'sa lotsa garlic.
    Never tried stuffing- think I'll give that a try next time around. [p]Got the egg going right now, today is bread day.
    What ya doin on the egg for Thanksgiving?

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    ClayQ,
    That's beautiful. What did you put on the lamb before cooking>

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    ClayQ,
    I'm on the egg 3-5 days a week, but believe it or not, plans are for it to be idle Thursday. I'm heeding the advice of somebody who posted last week (as well as my own past experience), don't experiment with Thanksgiving dinner!
    This is the one meal I don't mess with (at least not very much). My most radical change in recent years has been to brine instead of inject. So, it's oven-roasted with good ol' bread and celery and onion stuffing with the in-laws at my house.[p]All my other turkeys done during the rest of the year are done on the egg.[p]What's on your itinerary Thursday?

• Clay Q
    Options
    egret,
    The marinade with chopped garlic. That's it.

• Clay Q
    Options
    WDAN,
    Sounds like a good plan at your place. We are cooking the standard brined turkey. Might try upside down turkey if I can come up with a workable hanger- we will see.
    Stuffing- I like that with gravy poured over it, lots of gravy on the turkey also. Hope there is room for pie. :o)
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    egret,
    Ah, thought I posted the marinade. Here it is. Newmans Family Style Italian salad dressing. Great stuff.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Thank ya' kindly. I'm going to give that a try......