Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first Turbo Butt this Sunday

Options
2»

Comments

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I would leave it unfoiled,  You ave plenty of time.  Just watch meat temp.  I would guess once meat is160 you probably have 2 more hours tip done. FTC when you hit 195-200.  I also put mine in the crockpot to keep it warm while serving.

My crunch time was due to a rush to serve,I think you have plenty of time to leave  unfoiled.
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    Never goes as planned.  

I had to pull the meat off and plate setter and replenish the charcoal.  

And the damn Maverick keeps showing LLL for barbecue temp through out the cook- not all the time, but most of the time.

As long as the meat thermometer keeps reading, I'm fine.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited April 2014
    Options
    After reading the above posts thru an alcchol induced Sunday fog, The key to the finish-line is when the bone pulls clean, somewhere around 200-208+/-*F.  Just let it ride til there and then FTC til ready to pull and serve.  BTW-you can have too many temperature indications...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    lousubcap said:

After reading the above posts thru an alcchol induced Sunday fog, The key to the finish-line is when the bone pulse clean, somewhere around 200-208+/-*F.  Just let it ride til there and then FTC til ready to pull and serve.  BTW-you can have too many temperature indications...FWIW-

Yeah, when the bone pulses its done...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @DMW-nice catch and absolutely correct :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited April 2014
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    After reading the above posts thru an alcchol induced Sunday fog, The key to the finish-line is when the bone pulls clean, somewhere around 200-208+/-*F.  Just let it ride til there and then FTC til ready to pull and serve.  BTW-you can have too many temperature indications...FWIW-
    100% Agree with the alcohol induced sunday fog! Totally on board with the bone pulsing/pulling as well (insert joke here)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@DMW-nice catch and absolutely correct :)>-

Sorry, day drinking. Just couldn't pass up a "bone pulsing" juvenile joke, or attempt at one. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    I enjoy good Sunday Butt talk  :-h
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The bone should be able to be pulled at 195 at least that's what I was told in my BBQ class. I'm thinking of doing a turbo pork butt next Saturday and am going to shot for getting an 8 pounder done in 4 hours at 350. ColAngus, did you fill you fire box all the way up before the cook? I wouldn't have thought you would run out on a turbo cook. What internal temp were you shorting for?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    Options
    Just wanted to follow up from yesterday.  The butt was a hit.  Folks were asking for recipes and how I did it.

It's quite embarrassing to admit, that I didn't do anything.  I rubbed mustard all over it, then used Dizzy Pig dry rub.

Cooked it for 5 hrs at 350, then FTC for an hour.  The bone came right out.  

The only thing I really did was find a Lexington BBQ sauce recipe which was the bomb.  I lightly doused- maybe 3-4 tbs of the stuff over the pulled pork and mixed it up.

I also made Lexington BBQ red slaw, which I love.

Here are two picks: