Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthier Version of Chinese Boneless Spareribs (pix)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056

Had some boneless center cut pork chops to do something with.  They were only $2.35 for the pack of 4.  :)  Always nice when you can come up with something tasty, healthy and cheap with the stuff you already have in the house.  I'm sure these would be much better with a fattier cut of pork, and with more sugar, but we are trying to keep it healthy during the week...and semi carb friendly.  I made the marinade with just a few things I had in the pantry and the fridge.  Came up with a pretty decent concoction.  Can't wait to play around more with it.  I didn't measure anything, but it had BGE Viva Caliente Rub, Oyster Sauce, Soy sauce, Rice Wine Vinegar, Pineapple Juice, Ketchup, Sesame Oil, tiny bit of Liquid Smoke and Red Food Coloring.  I thought it tasted pretty good, but will try it again one weekend with a fattier cut of pork and more sugar.  :)  I know some of the ingredients had a little bit of sugar, but figured a lot of it cooked off and was also discarded with the leftover marinade that was drained off before wokking. 

I've been having a serious craving for Chinese Boneless Spareribs lately, so these hit the spot and were a nice alternative to the unhealthier version at the local China takeout.  ;)  I thinly cut the chops long ways, against the grain, and then cut each strip in half before marinating.

Sorry, no wokking pic.  They cooked up fast!  And I didn't want them to burn.  Served up with some Broccoli and Chinese Style Hot Mustard.  Love me some Hot Mustard!image

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Healthy ribs? I'm in!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks good. Try agave nectar as a substitute. It's low glycemic index.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    These may not be healthy, BUT are sure great.
    Pork, Ribs, Baby Back, Oriental, Sweet & Sour, Chinese, Richard Fl

Walter Kei's Sweet & Sour Spareribs.  Walter Kei of Hong Kong likes to flour these spareribs and then deep fry them. But I, Grace Young, prefer pan-frying and then braising them.  Kei finishes the sauce with lime juice and butter; this twist reflects the innovative style of Hong Kong cooks.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Sugar
    1 tsp Cornstarch
    1 tsp Shaom Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
    1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
    1/2 tsp plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 Lbs Lean Baby Back pork ribs, cut into single ribs or even better in half also.
    1/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
    1/3 Cup Chinkiang or Balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp Butter, unsalted butter
    1/2 tsp Lime Juice
    1 tsp Lime Zest, Optional

PROCEDURE:

1. In a large bowl combine 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the sugar, cornstarch, rice wine, soy sauce and the 1/2 teaspoon oil. Add the spareribs and combine. Marinate 1 hour. Pat dry completely with paper towels. I do not see the need to dry unless you are deep-frying.

2. Heat a 14" flat-bottom wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1-2 seconds. Swirl in the remaining 1 Tablespoon oil and add the spareribs meat side down, spreading them in the wok. Reduce the heat to medium and pan-fry undisturbed 5 minutes, letting the spareribs brown. Then, using a spatula, turn the ribs over and pan-fry an additional 2 minutes.

3. Add the brown sugar, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/3 cup water to the wok and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the ribs meat side down. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender. Add the butter and lime juice and stir to combine. Garnish with lime zest if desired.

4. BGE Version: Seasoned as the recipe says then added brown sugar etc and placed them on the BGE large indirect at 400F for an hour or so.

5. Done:

Yield: Serves 4 as part of a multicourse meal

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Asian, Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/02/05*

Author Notes
    The Breath of a Wok, Grace Young & Alan Richardson Page # 188  400F indirect for an hour or so.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks, @Richard Fl‌ ! Gonna definitely give that a go. Sounds amazing.