Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokiness - Mini vs Large

Options
Hey, gang..has anyone ever experienced a different amount of "smokiness" cooking on a mini vs a Large?

Wife and I sure do..everything coming off the mini has a good and pretty obvious "smoky" taste..

Cooking on a large..errr...ummmm...Kamado Joe (doh!)...that is the same size as a LBGE, the food is "good" but nowhere near as good as the Mini BGE.

(I know..I know..please don't shoot me - I just thought the Joe had 'better' construction and wasn't cheaping things out as much as BGE seems to be nowdays with all their crappy plastic handle, plastic tables, etc).

I've read that food off a Joe and a BGE is indistinguishable from each other.  But there IS a difference w/the Mini BGE.

I just wonder if the Mini gives more of a 'smoky' flavor as there's a lot less space and the smoke fills the cooking chamber more..or something like that.  And if I cooked the same meal on the BGE if it'd be the same as the Joe..(ie: not as smoky since the cooking chamber is the same size as the Joe).

BTW, everything is the same - RO lump..same Dizzy Pig rubs..etc.

Now to find a LBGE to compare the Joe to, side by side!

TIA..
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have the reverse set up of yours. I have the large big green egg and the kamado joe jr. I see no difference in smokiness between the two. I can put as much or as little smoke as i want to the meat at will. Its simply a matter of learning the cooker you are using. This applies to all cookers not just ceramics. Hope this helps. Oh by the way i like the egg  and the joe equal. I see no advantage to either as far as cooking goes.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Only have the large... Always seems like the amount of "smokiness" is up to me and how much I use chunks or chips, when I put the meat on etc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd postulate that you experience less smoke with the red-headed stepchild since there is more efficient air flow due to the space in the cooker and the intake and exhaust sizes.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I have both mini and large and I don't notice a difference. The mini takes a whole lot less time to burn off VOCs, though, and I attribute that to the amount of charcoal used. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I have a small, mini and a large and unless I purposely add chips or wood chunks to the lump I don't get a smoked flavor.  DIL is very sensitive to the "smokey flavor" of q but will eat food off the egg (as long as food is cooked with the lump only).

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Are you comparing indirect and direct cooks?  I mean even on a LBGE if the grate is farther away from burning lump any dripping grease may not ignite.  I imagine on the mini it would be on the fire right away.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Hmmm..good point BigWader..my smokiest cooks have been on Indirect on the Mini.  (Did chick one night with the PS in and it was AMAZING).  Have been doing chick (legs) on the (cough) KJ and while good, not "OMG WOW!".

Thx for all the feedback, guys.  I know I'm straddling the line here on (um) the "red headed stepchild" (LOL) and our dearly loved BGE..

BTW, my (cough) KJ is black as the ace of spades..gotta say I like the color and don't get the appeal of the red AT ALL.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Also..really wondering if I had gone with the MBGE if I would have had better results.

I will say that the KJ absolutely DEVOURS lump.

The Mini BGE will save me thousands in lump cost over the years.

Maybe I should just get a MBGE and be done with it!

Of course, I DO like the "ash drawer" on the (cough) KJ.  And the fact I can leave the lower vent open without the risk of embers landing on my wood deck.  That's a pretty nice feature and gotta say KJ has an "egg" (OK, "leg") up on BGE on that..