Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie butt question

Options
I'm 4 hours in on an 8 hour cook. Can I add some hickory chunks or is it too late?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I don't think it's too late.  You'll still get some absorption of the hickory smoke, just nowhere near as much as had you started with them from the beginning. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I would
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Actually the meat will absorb smoke as long as the smoke concentration outside the meat is greater than inside, which, practically speaking, is a very long time.  The only question concerns how much it takes up and how far it diffuses, but it's always going to be greater than zero.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Depending on the temp of the meat as to if the meat absorbs or if it just adds to the bark. From what I understand the meat will absorb smoke up to around 160ish. I would add it and let it help build the flavor profile.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    BoBQ said:
    I'm 4 hours in on an 8 hour cook. Can I add some hickory chunks or is it too late?
    You will get smoke flavor, the smoke ring stops forming at 140*

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification LS. I have erased that part of the memory banks and replaced with good knowledge for future use. :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    You can add chunks or chips for smoke at any time you want.  The meat will always pick up more smoke flavor.  FWIW, meat doesn't really absorb smoke.  The smoke only settles on the exterior, and it will do that all throughout the cook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    Looks like the previous folks have you covered, but send pictures of your first smoke!  Make sure the temp is good before pulling off the egg and don't forget to FTC - wrap in tin foil, a towel and place in a cooler.  I think they taste better this way!

Welcome to the Forum and good luck!

--Dave
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill