Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first turbo butt

Options
I have a good looking 9lb butt going on shortly, just getting the temperature down to proper range. Rubbed with the BGE seasoning (Dizzy Dust?), along with a saltier rub from a local chef's personal collection - guy makes and sells his own rubs and sauces in the front part of his restaurant. Going turbo for the first time because I didn't want to go overnight.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Also my first cook,with my new PSWoo2. Didn't see a major need for the spider portion, so went with the 2. Anyone tried setting that enitre gizmo on top of the legs up plate setter and using two grids - on inside and one on regular spot - for a raised, indirect, multiple grid cook?
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Follow up - it didn't end up quite as turbo as I expected, but the product is very good. I walked away for a little while firing it up, making getting the temp down to 325-350 difficult. Put the butt on around 2pm with grid 340 dome 380. Ran an errand and in about 90 minutes the Egg was stable around 365 dome. Around 6pm the temp started coming down slowly and settled around 285/340 grid/dome. Bumped it up gradually (couldn't get it up quickly), and finally at halftime of Wisky/UK I pulled it-being 10:30, dinner was already long gone, so FTC overnight. Temp when I pulled it from the cooler was still 120 at 1pm. Bark wasn't dark, dark like on longer cooks, but it like this better actually. And all the time in the foil didn't mush up the bark, which is surprising. So, 8 hours turbo, but could have pulled it at least an hour earlier. I'll definitely do it this way again and like the bark better with less char. Now aiming for my first pizza on the egg tonight. Still have yet to get homemade dough done just right.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If you had another grid you could put it on top of your plate setter then put your woo2 on top of that grid. It would would probably be a little funky gettin to your food on the bottom grid but it would hold a pan of veggies real nice. Now that I think of it. If you set it up the way I described you would be able to get your pizza nice and high in the dome. Just a thought
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @grege345: He's using a PSWoo2, which has the platesetter sitting INSIDE the woo. You can just lift the whole thing off by the handles. But he might have a separate Woo2, I don't know.
    Judy in San Diego
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Plate ssetter, grid, pswoo with grid on top. Sort of like an AR but not quite. It is a tight fit because of the handles. image
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    With that happening would an overnight be easier? You can also cut the butt in half reducing time. You can also foil at 160 to expedite the cook. Just some thoughts.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    @grege345 @Judy_Mayberry - that's what I was thinking of.  I just have the one new Woo2.  It was really easy to mess with this weekend for both pork butt and pizzas.  

@henapple - if it's going to take that long, then I have to consider it.  My concern with overnights is I'm still having problems at keeping the temps steady for a long time - I can get it there for a couple hours at a time, but I'm not as confident in 7-8 hours of beauty rest - I've done it twice and had it at 190 once and 385 another time when I woke up.  I don't mind an hour or two nap or trip to the store and liquor store, but sleep worries me (and I don't sleep as well when I'm worried about temps!).