Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not quite a MadMax turkey

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:[p]For some reason I was asked to prepare a turkey for today's monthly staff meeting (couldn't be because everyone in the office has had some food from the Egg before, could it?). Anyway, since it was too early for "fresh" birds I was only able to find a frozen Shady Brook Farms 15.3# bird. I put it in the "John Ash Brine" mixture on Tuesday morning, then about 36 hours later (late last evening) took it out and put in the fridge to dry the skin. Got up at 5:00am (unfortunately my normal time to get up) and started the fire. While the Egg was settling in at about 330, I added a nice coating of butter mixed with rosemary & savory leaves. Also, did Max's recommendation of a bag of ice on the breasts (of the turkey) for about 20 minutes before putting on the Egg at about 6:20 figuring it should be done about 10:00 to 10:30, then a 20 minute drive to the office. Setup was platesetter with feet up, drip pan setting on some spare BGE feet, grid on platesetter and turkey on grid. I used 3 small chunks of guavawood for smoke (love that stuff).[p]PB170105.jpg[p]Well, this bird was in a hurry to get done as by 9:00 it was about 155 in the breast area and 165 in the thighs. Getting done much too fast. I backed off on the Egg temp, down to about 300, but by 9:20 it was 160+ in the breast so I took it off, covered with foil and stuck it in the oven (no heat) while I finished getting ready for work.[p]Here it is just before taking it off.[p]PB170106.jpg[p]PB170110.jpg[p]Even with slightly going over the prime temp for pulling from the Egg, everyone (14 people) thought it was delicious. Probably just enough leftovers for 2, maybe 3 sandwiches.[p]I really wanted to do Max's gravy, but with the logistics of going from home to work, I felt it better to wait until next week with our T-day bird.[p]Have a GREAT day!
Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments