Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Line at Franklin

Options

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Day drinking in a parking lot is something I am sadly very familiar with. 
    Ha! I think I still have a couple of bottles of beer in my fridge... bought last summer. I'd never make it through a 4 hour line! 
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:

@ The Cen-Tex Smoker,

By the pics, it doesn't look like a tailgate party.  Just a bunch of people staring at concrete with folded arms. lol

Not hatin', just wouldn't be my thang.  Surely, there has to be other fun stuff to do in Austin.

That picture doesn't do it justice. It's a blast.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options

The thing that makes me the most jealous at this point is people wearing shorts and tshirts.  We still are wearing heavy jackets here :(

89 yesterday. It's on brother!

Sunny and 78℉ with blue skies. Couldn't ask for more beautiful weather here.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Options

Line etiquette question for those who have done this.  I'll be in Austin next week with family.

If I show up in the morning with my dad, and then later my wife, 2 kids, and grandma show up and join us as we're nearing the front, is that going to be frowned upon?  I'm going to do this, but don't want to subject a couple of 3 year olds to a 3-hour wait in a line.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    D_Train said:

Line etiquette question for those who have done this.  I'll be in Austin next week with family.

If I show up in the morning with my dad, and then later my wife, 2 kids, and grandma show up and join us as we're nearing the front, is that going to be frowned upon?  I'm going to do this, but don't want to subject a couple of 3 year olds to a 3-hour wait in a line.

Nope. This is what I did with my 2 year old and 7 month old. My FIL went in at 0730 to get in line and we showed up at 1215. Ate at 1300. My daughter was the life of the party.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    D_Train said:

I got there at 7am on Sunday and was first in line. My wife and 3 kids joined me at 10:45am. It is acceptable...I called and asked.

You tell them beforehand what meat you want. That's all they care about it. Now if you told them you only wanted a pound of brisket, then got 8 lbs cause a bunch of peep randomly joined you...that would be a **** move.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    Options
    So when I started I was in line by myself. Made multiple "friends" hanging out, drinking beer, and bullsh!tting. Split a six pack from local store with my neighbor in line.
    Austin, TX
  • D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks guys!  Can't wait to see what the fuss is about.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    D_Train said:

I've never been to Franklin's (perhaps one day). But, on line etiquette. A four hour line in the hot sun, hungry, etc it could get ugly. I've seen some nasty brawls in line on Black Friday here in FL and that didn't even involve Franklin's Brisket (just sayin').
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    Options
    I don't care what Carolina Q and Focker think. That was the easiest 4 hour wait on the planet! It was fun and I don't even drink! Totally worth the wait!! Zero regrets!

I've done this twice within a month.
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Agree with @Eggcelsior‌ and @cazzy‌ - one person waiting for small group is completely kosher.
    Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Black Friday is a completely different beast then waiting in line for food.

I sleep in on Black Friday. I won't sleep in for Franklin's.
  • cazzy
    Options

D_Train said:

I've never been to Franklin's (perhaps one day). But, on line etiquette. A four hour line in the hot sun, hungry, etc it could get ugly. I've seen some nasty brawls in line on Black Friday here in FL and that didn't even involve Franklin's Brisket (just sayin').
    This isn't Florida. These are hipsters and they honestly could care less.

One dbag dropped 4 chairs off at 3am, and didn't show up until 10am. At 10:30, 20 people joined him. I sure as hell moved his chairs so I could be 1st in line!!! Lol
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

Agree with @Eggcelsior‌ and @cazzy‌ - one person waiting for small group is completely kosher.

Well at least people are civil. "I wouldn't personally" have a problem with it but, in a huge group like that their is bound to be a Debby Downer with a stick up their a$$.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    cazzy said:

This isn't Florida. These are hipsters and they honestly could care less. One dbag dropped 4 chairs off at 3am, and didn't show up until 10am. At 10:30, 20 people joined him. I sure as hell moved his chairs so I could be 1st in line!!! Lol
    He must park in Chicago.
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Re: line etiquette - an employee comes through early and asks what everyone is ordering and then gives estimate on time and meat left. Multiple people order for a small group
    Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Well at least people are civil. "I wouldn't personally" have a problem with it but, in a huge group like that their is bound to be a Debby Downer with a stick up their a$$.
    Like Cazzy said, they are mostly hipsters. Worst case, just steal their scarf and play keep away. They'll leave you alone after that.
  • cazzy
    Options

Again...if I was first in line....I can tell the girl I want 30 lbs of brisket, 10 lbs of sausage, turkey, pork, and order 10 racks of ribs. After which, 30 people can join me to eat. As long as you tell the girl what you want, they don't care who's with you.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Again...if I was first in line....I can tell the girl I want 30 lbs of brisket, 10 lbs of sausage, turkey, pork, and order 10 racks of ribs. After which, 30 people can join me to eat. As long as you tell the girl what you want, they don't care who's with you.
    When I spoke to her, I asked if she passed to the left or the right...if you know what I mean.

She giggled way too long at that joke.
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

When I spoke to her, I asked if she passed to the left or the right...if you know what I mean.

She giggled way too long at that joke.

Lol. That means she prolly didn't get it. Haha
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Her eyes told the entire story.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Eventually, I think they'll charge me for my food. The way I look at, I have $185 to spend before I'm in the negative. Lol
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    cazzy said:

Nice! So am I a hipster? Or a exhippie with a business haircut?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Interesting group. People in front from San Diego. People behind from near Philly
    Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Or a exhippie with a business haircut?

I can only imagine you have a mullet reading this sentence.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

Or a exhippie with a business haircut?

I can only imagine you have a mullet reading this sentence.
    Nope no mullet :-). I had cancer in my mid twenties and after chemo etc I began growing my hair (never had long hair before) and in this photo it was the 2nd time I donated 18" to Locks for Love. I would grow it again but, I'm happy to have given back to help. Every bit helps. But, I Am a hippie at heart. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    @cazzy‌ - no photo up yet...
    Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    Options

@cazzy‌ - no photo up yet...

I figured. It's likely not high on his priority list. If he does it, cool...if not, it's whatever.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The metal print?
    edited April 2014
    Options

The metal print?

Yeah...He has a 8x12 sitting in his office.

I still think I might take him a 11x17 with my sig. ;)