Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow we just had a pretty good earthquake

Options
It shook for a good 30 seconds
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Where are you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Oops I tooted...

Hope everyone is okay. Where are you located? I'm either really drunk and didn't realize it, or just lucky I don't live where you are right now...
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

SoCal Huntington Beach. Seemed like it lasted a good 30 seconds Preliminary reports are 5.4

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    there's an earthquake at the KY Louieville game too....  where ya at?
    Options
    I felt it in Anahiem.  I agree...about 30 seconds.  rattled a lot of stuff, nothing fell.  Shook the pool water, but not enough to move water out of the pool.  I've had that happen before. 
  • Jeff_R
    Jeff_R Posts: 32
    Options
    I felt a small quake about an hour ago too.  Very slight but I still felt it.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Wowza...cant imagine...not much of a problem here in the modwest. Hope everyone is ok..
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Jeff_R
    Options
    looking for info, there was a 3.6 at 8pm.  That must be what I felt int he garage before the latest one
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Headed your way next week. Please keep it down.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeff_R
    Options
    as long as they keep to shakers, not breakers I am ok.  
  • td66snrf
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Talked to my sister in Brea and she said stuffs knocked off the shelves at Von's. For those of you who never felt them this was a slow roller that just seemed to keep rolling. I doubt if there will be any serious damage.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Usgs showing 5.1 at La Habra: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Jeff_R
    Options
    Earthquake # 3.  smaller than the second, bigger than the first
  • td66snrf
    Options
    Just had another small one.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    just ate a rare hamburger....I think I'm gonna have an 8.0 on the Richter scale!  Oh wait, I just ate lettuce....

Seriously, hope there isn't an epicenter that lost lives or property that we hadn't heard of yet.
    Options
    We has a little one a few years ago here in PA and it scared me like nothing I've experienced before... Was on the 3rd floor and I couldn't grab the dogs fast enough and get the hell outside.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    So Cal earthquake story mid 90's-and yes Mother Nature is a bitc-.  San Diego, Sunday AM watching some news channel out of Los Angeles on TV.  House starts the shakes and the TV video images start to move as the anchors dive under the desks.  Fortunately not a big one but with plenty of reach.
    There were others while there but the events with this one were unique...At least with most other disasters you get some warning.  Although that is certainly not the case in WA.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    We had one in north Georgia around midnight on Valentine's Day this year. Small one that only lasted 10 seconds or so. Scared the living crap out of myself and the wife. Our four-year-old even sat up in the bed and screamed "what in the world was that?!". If you're not prepared for those things, it is a very creepy experience. I went full recon running around the yard with a flashlight. I thought a plane had crashed nearby. Turned out to be an earthquake.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • td66snrf
    Options
    Just received this from my sister from the Von's in Brea

• Jeff_R
    Options

Cleanup Isle 7. 

I don't want to be at a Sam's or Costco or home improvement store during one of these.   They have big stuff that can fall on you!

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I'll take all of our mid Atlantic crazy weather (snow, heat, humidity) over earthquakes and tornadoes. I would never be able to sleep in tornado alley...
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Yeah, our measly GA earthquake was nothing like that. More like a bad case of gas. Wow....can't imagine.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • td66snrf
    edited March 2014
    Options
    hapster said:
    I'll take all of our mid Atlantic crazy weather (snow, heat, humidity) over earthquakes and tornadoes. I would never be able to sleep in tornado alley...
    That's funny 'cause I'll take the earthquakes over the weather and we don't have tornadoes.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I live in tornado country. Can be scary but my neighbor's wine cellar is comfortable. We often stay long after the storm.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    An earthquake off the coast of Chile in 1960 sent a tsunami that struck Hilo, Hawaii, where we were vacationing killing 61 people. Check out the YouTube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucCvbivFFGEimage
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    On our way to Hawaii, my wife and I stopped to visit her brother in Boulder Creek CA. Oct 1989. Monday morning, we drove to SF International and got on a plane for Honolulu. Next day, we were driving around Diamond Head sightseeing when we heard about the Loma Prieta earthquake (the World Series one) on the radio. Epicenter was less that 20 miles from my BIL's house! One day earlier, we were there!!

They were okay, but he said they could use some glassware! They (and we) were extremely lucky!

Epicenter was about 80 miles from SF. Where stuff like this happened...
    Like I said, we were LUCKY!! Give me cold, snowy winters instead of the threat of this any day!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2014
    Options
    The earthquake a few years ago was scary. At first I thought a large truck or bus was idling outside(the office is in a basement) until stuff started falling off shelves.

Edit: The DC area one, that is.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I was drunk, drunk in bed in Tokyo once when a small one hit. Rocked me side to side pretty good, it was very comforting. Thought I imagined it the next day until my team asked me if it woke me up :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Please tell us your Eggs are okay! Now that would be a disaster.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    California.

Shaken, not stirred.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.