Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Help

Options
Im looking at doing trying some jerky this weekend and need some help.

I have a large egg with AR and Stoker. 

I need help with the temp, time and cut of meat. With what I have been reading I'm thinking around 150 for 6 to 8 hr with a top sirloin cut in 1/4 in strips. Let me know if I'm wrong or should change anything. 

Also any marinates would be helpful.
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2014
    Options

Here's a post I did a number of years ago.  I pretty much stick to this formula...

About 3 1/2 lbs. of Top Round sliced at 1/4". Ended up with about 1 1/2 lbs. after shrinkage. I used the DigiQ set to 165. Worked great. Marinated for about a day. Started taking jerky off the top rack after about 3 hours. Stuff on the bottom took a total of 6 hours. Next time I'll rotate the racks throughout the cook as we all know it is hotter at the top. Overall it turned out really good.

Thanks for looking.

ry%3D315

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
    Jerky marinade:
    1/4 C sugar
    3 T Tender Quick
    1/4 C honey
    1/8 C Country Bob's sauce
    1/2 T garlic powder
    2 T Texas BBQ Rub
    1/4 t hot chipotle powder
    1 C water
    1/8 C kosher salt
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I've made it a few times...Both round steak and ground beef with a jerky gun...1 lb of ground pork and 4 lbs of 80% ground beef)

I like the high mountain mixes... here is a recent post... 200 degrees for 2-3 hours with lota of wood for smone...but I don't like mine super dry and chewy.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161029/jerky#latest
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Options
    If doing around 150, I would typically need 8-11 hours. Make sure you rotate your grids every couple hours.
    XL BGE
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Here was my recent cook.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1162311/beef-jerky#latest

I used Eye of Round and had my butcher slice it to 1/4 inch. Good luck.
    Clarendon Hills, IL