Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just hit Firecraft

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
I've just about finished my 40lb bag of Fogo from Amazon (there's a thread around somewhere) and I was very pleased with it.  Really large pieces, nice clean burn.

It's time to stock up again, and I really am curious about the best lump.  So 20lbs each of Ozark and Rockwood are on the way.  I'm curious if I will be able to tell the difference, although I definitely could with the Fogo. 

Game on.

(Oh, and i added a Looftlighter to get the free shipping).
NOLA

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yeah I thought about this after the RO post, might be a good way to try different lumps.
    I liked fogo also.
    May try the 2 you mentioned but also throw in The Good One as well.
    Seattle, WA
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    The Good One=Rockwood
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    They are both great fuel, but I personally like OO better.  Doesn't seem to spark or ash as much.  Plus I think it tends to light faster (not that RW takes that long).
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    My order arrived today.  I have to say the firecraft guys are great.  4 days from order to receipt - 40lbs of lump (20 OO, 20 RW), some peach wood, and a couple of items to push the total over the free ship line.

I forgot to order the peach wood, and I sent them an email to add it, and got a reply within a couple of hours.  Great service!!

Recommended, and would use again.
    NOLA
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Agree with above, put an order in recently and for starters the delivery was super fast. There was an issue and they bent over backwards to make it right. Exceptional customer sevice!
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Rockwood does spark quite a bit when lighting. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How are you lighting?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    Funny, I hit Firecraft for the fist time and got 60 pounds of Rockwood and 40 lbs. of OO.

I've only used 1 10lb bag of  OO thuis far, but it  sparked way more than any other lump I've used, which has mainly been RO. Other than than that, it was great...little ash and burned a good while. The Rockwood was awesome all the way around,  didn't spark much at all and certainly not near what the OO did.
    GATABITES said:
    Rockwood does spark quite a bit when lighting. 

Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love firecraft. I recommended them to a new egger today.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I've just about finished my 40lb bag of Fogo from Amazon (there's a thread around somewhere) and I was very pleased with it.  Really large pieces, nice clean burn.

It's time to stock up again, and I really am curious about the best lump.  So 20lbs each of Ozark and Rockwood are on the way.  I'm curious if I will be able to tell the difference, although I definitely could with the Fogo. 

Game on.

(Oh, and i added a Looftlighter to get the free shipping).
    Hate to rain on the Looftlighter parade but mine crapped out on me after only 8 months.  Luckily, I had my Bernzomatic MAAP torch that I got as a Christmas present.  I am never going back.  Good luck and enjoy the Looft. I liked mine but it couldn't take the heat.  The MAAP lights much quicker and doesn't spark as much.
    Milton, GA.