Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Jerky?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
A guy I know brought some turkey jerky to my office this week.  I was really skeptical - turkey jerky!  Boy was I wrong.  It was the best jerky that I have ever had.  Which brings me to the question - how difficult is jerky to make?  I assume that I could smoke it on the egg but maybe that isn't the way to go.  Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I would think you'd make jerky in a dehydrator. The egg provides a moist environment which is great for most things but, the jerky I've done in the past was done with a dehydrator. Not saying it can't be done on BGE but, never seen it done.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited March 2014
    Options
    jerkey in the egg is great but its different than regular jerky. what works best is to do most of the cook in the egg and finish in a dehydrator but out of the egg is still very good. you need to be able to keep temps at 145 dome, no higher than 175
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    I'm with fishless, my jerky spends first couple of hours in the egg, after it lost the messy drips and picked up smoke I finish it off in the comfort of my Excalibur. 
    canuckland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I've done it on the egg but dehydrator blows it away.
    Now I smoke for 1hr or 2 on the egg then dehydrate.
    Seattle, WA
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Please go to youtube and watch Pitmasterx`s video on making beef jerky on a Big Green Egg.The can I use is a pineapple juice can with top and bottom cut off.hope this helps.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good video! Will have try this. Here's the link. Good find @Ktim‌ Beef Jerky recipe on the big green egg barbecue -…: http://youtu.be/UsPF6AjaojY
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Am I gonna have to drive north of the Mason-Dixon to get some "Union Powder"???   :>

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...