Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Concrete in my charcoal!

Options
2»

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Pfft... worried about a rock or two in a bag of lump?? :-/
    These companies have front end loaders, skimming the ground, loading the hoppers.
    I think they do a great job keeping a few pebbles out of the mix. =D>
    Whats the debris weigh??? 1/4 oz?? Or less?
    It can be more, but you are right, given the "rocket science" of charcoal production, I'm quite surprised we don't find more. 
    First 10# bag of RO (WallyWorld Canada) found these - accounted for about 20% of the bag weight. Those are 1" Naked Whiz squares.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I found some plastic strapping and fiberglass insulation in the last bag of Cowboy I bought a couple of years ago.  Compared to that, a rock or chunk of concrete or two is not bad. 

Flint, Michigan
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I have found rocks with BGE brand but none yet on my first Ozarks Oak.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Love my Rockwood !!!!!

I'll not use anything else on purpose !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Concrete, rocks, metal plumbers strap, nails......I've got quite a collection going.  The worst thing ever was a piece of plastic that I didn't catch until half way through a cook.  It made the food taste funky and it melted to the firebox.  It took two clean burns to get rid of the smell after scraping the plastic off.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ha
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I just found this in a bag of OO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This was in my last bag of Cowboy.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I just found this in a bag of OO

that was the McGyver edition. Egg and save the world.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Oh boy. I wonder where this is going?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Funny this thread is going, just found my first piece of plastic. It'd bother me more if I didn't do paint and body work for a living. #:-S
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @henapple - the batteries are the new Pitmaster upgrade to make it FREAKIN ROCK even more, the duct tape will hold your PS together while the epoxy is setting in that huge crack you caused when you did that ultra high temp clean burn using the new and improved Pitmaster and it got out of control and didn't catch the correct pizza temp and the flapper can be used as a buttplug to keep you from sh$ttin your pants during one of those unexpected blowback caused by all the damn rocks in the lump

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I thought the rocks would make it FREAKIN ROCK! Ok. Bad joke. Had to do it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    I thought the rocks would make it FREAKIN ROCK! Ok. Bad joke. Had to do it.
    Why do you think we call it ROCKwood?   :-$
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I found a good handful of small concrete pieces in the ashes of my second bag of royal oak. I don't care about metal or rocks but something bothers me about concrete.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    $7.39 a big bag of Cowboy at Lowes instead of $25 a big bag of BGE lump. I'll take a little extra rock and metal for those prices!
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I found a good handful of small concrete pieces in the ashes of my second bag of royal oak. I don't care about metal or rocks but something bothers me about concrete.

The kilns are concrete and the floors are concrete.  The on/off heat on the kilns causes them to break down over time.  As the loaders scoop up the charcoal, they occasionally get some concrete that has chipped off the kiln or floor.  Just part or the wear and tear.

If any charcoal company had to guarantee their bags we free from the occasional rock, metal banding, or other material related to production, you could increase the bag price 5x-10x.  None of those effect the performance anyway.  I get it that you're paying for charcoal and not other stuff, but there's usually about 2-3% overage in each bag.  We absolutely have to keep out the plastics and anything that could produce fumes.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

JethroVA said:

The kilns are concrete and the floors are concrete.  The on/off heat on the kilns causes them to break down over time.  As the loaders scoop up the charcoal, they occasionally get some concrete that has chipped off the kiln or floor.  Just part or the wear and tear.

If any charcoal company had to guarantee their bags we free from the occasional rock, metal banding, or other material related to production, you could increase the bag price 5x-10x.  None of those effect the performance anyway.  I get it that you're paying for charcoal and not other stuff, but there's usually about 2-3% overage in each bag.  We absolutely have to keep out the plastics and anything that could produce fumes.

+3 @stlcharcoal‌ I'll take the occasional rock or piece of metal over plastic any day of the week and twice on Sunday. At least a rock or hunk of metal won't fume up in the middle of a cook and destroy what you're egging. Yet another reason to hand stack and not dump.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Don't worry about it.  They are just for weight.