Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shee-kan and Sausage

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Went to the store yesterday to pick up a few shee-kans, but all the ones they had were huge and mostly frozen still. I don't like big birds, so opted for some thighs instead. That's ok by me, I don't care for the breasts anyway. I've always been a big proponent of raised direct, but lately it just seems like the next day when I eat it, the yard birds are really smokey. So I decided to go raised indirect for this turn. Two coated with JH Texas Chicken Tickler and two with Salt Lick Rub all air dried in the fridge for as long as I had time, about 3 hours.

When they were getting close to done, Mrs. G suggested basting them with some Salt Lick sauce. Lauren't version. The spicey one. Not something we usually do, but that's what she wanted and if it makes her happy, happy wife, happy life. @Mickey likes to look at deer over his patio, I prefer to shoot 'em and eat 'em so I tossed on a coupla links of some venison jalapeno cheese sausage I made awhile back. Man, is it good stuff!!

The chicken got basted and flipped every 5 mintues for a coupla bourbon and cokes and finally pulled aroung the 175-180 range.

Covered losely and tossed in a pre-warmed oven. Then I pulled the stone, dropped the grate and tossed on some mushrooms in a CI skillet along with some olive oil, whatsthishere sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and some salt and pepper. And maybe some other stuff. I wasn't taking notes or really paying attention to what I was doing.

Let them do their stuff for awhile, every once in a bit, giving 'em a quick stir with a wooden spoon and testing for softness. Meanwhile, sipped on a fresh drink with one eye on the games while Mrs. G sauteed up some kale. We're trying to be a bit more healthy...sometimes. All plated up, grabbed one of each to taste compare.

Pretty nice little meal and wasn't overly smokey from the fat dripping on the coals and causing a smoking inferno out the top of the Egg. Think I'll keep doing 'em this way from now on. Didn't really prefer one of the rubs over the other. Both were tasty, just different.

After dinner, watched a little more basketball till my eye's got a bit heavy. Woke up this morning to find I had picked 14 out of 16. And I have watched NO basketball this year prior to picking and did almost absolutely no research. :) Just hope my Baylor Bears can get through their first roudn today...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    When did you retire
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Lookin good.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Griffin
    Options
    Mickey said:
    When did you retire

I wish I was. I'd come and sit on your porch and let you cook for me. Maybe shot a deer when you aren't looking. ;)

Thanks Chris. Old school bbq'ed chicken basted with sauce. Sometimes old is good.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@Griffin Is that your homemade cheddar sausage?

Looks good.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Options
    Shore enuff is @Hotch. Need to make another batch soon to use up the rest of the venison I have in the freezer.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hotch
    Options
    Looks like my Longhorns squeaked one out.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    Great, bring some to Athens ............
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Shore enuff is @Hotch. Need to make another batch soon to use up the rest of the venison I have in the freezer.

As I recall I was getting a link and was summer sausage brought up.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    I've still got plenty @Mickey. Just give me a call when you come to town next time to see the grandkids.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    That looks outstanding!  Sorry I haven't been surfing the forum too much lately.  Work has been crazy busy and have been busy in the personal life too.  :)  It was nice getting a call from you tonight!  Always nice hearing from you.  That Laurens Spicy sauce is terrific BTW.  I need to score another bottle of that sometime.  I still remember how good it was and how fast we ran out from the bottle you sent us awhile back. lol  My wife especially like it.  And I'm with you on the indirect cooking of the chicken.  As long as you dry the skin beforehand, it seems to crisp the skin up just fine without overpowering the flavor with smoke from the drippings.  It's my go-to way and the Mrs is always happy.  And if the Mrs is happy, then I'm happy.  :) 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I'm glad I didn't smack talk earlier in the week. My Cornhuskers were flat today. Baylor shut them down. Good luck against Creighton in the next round! Hope they don't wear highlighter yellow jerseys again. Man...those were awful.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lookin good. I've been meaning to try that Texas Chicken Tickler and the Mojave Garlic rub from JH. Will have to keep an eye out for that sauce too. And + 1 on the indirect. Not too much of a fan of the "schmaltz hitting the fire " flavor.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    That looks awesome... Especially those links :)