Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show me your sides!

Que_n_Brew
Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
I'm wanting to build my database for side items. My hope is to start a tread that I will be able to save to favorites and refer to often. These can be sides done on the egg or not...just looking for your favorite sides. Name and recipe please. Pics would be great. I'll start it off... Crash Potaoes. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/ The only thing I do different is melted butter instead of EVOO on top. image Bacon wrapped Asparagus. Clean, cut, put in dish with S & P and EVOO for 30 minutes. Wrap w/ bacon and cook raised direct until desired tenderness. image
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Bueller? Bueller?
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    sorry I have nothing to offer, I was hoping this thread would take off cause I need some ideas too
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Too bad there isn't an emoticon for "crickets". :))
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    People swear by my lime sour cream coleslaw. It really compliments pulled pork or ribs.

Ingredients

1 head Savoy cabbage
    4 scallions
    1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, torn
    1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    2 limes
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    Directions

Shave the cabbage with a sharp knife or mandoline so you have thin ribbons. Cut the scallions long and on the bias so you have pieces similar in shape to the cabbage. Toss the cabbage, scallions and cilantro in a large salad bowl.

Make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar and the zest of the limes in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and finish with a squeeze of lime juice. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.

Make sure to make it the night before you are going to serve it. It really helps it come together.

MP
  • mrosener
    mrosener Posts: 26
    Potato Casserole

Ingredients
    1 package Ore Ida Frozen Hash Browns (these: http://www.oreida.com/Products/S/Southern-Style#.UdoVFjt958E)
    1 ¼ sticks butter
    2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    8 ounces sour cream
    3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
    1 can Cream of Celery soup
    Corn Flakes (enough to fill one zip lock bag…probably 1-2 cups)
    Pinch Salt
    Pinch Pepper

Directions
    Thaw the Hash Browns (usually in the fridge the day before)
    Preheat oven to 350
    Put aside ¼ stick of butter and corn flakes
    Melt 1 stick of butter
    Mix all ingredient except the ¼ stick of butter and corn flakes in a large mixing bowl
    Grease a casserole dish and fill with the mixture
    Put the Corn Flakes in a zip lock bag and crush (not too much though)
    Melt the remaining ¼ stick of butter and mix with the Corn Flakes
    Put the buttered corn flakes on top of the mixture in the casserole dish
    Bake at 350 for around 45 minutes

• Que_n_Brew
    Now we're talking! Sounds great.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    @Que-N-Brew - sorry cannot add anything here but am wondering how you can cook direct with bacon without causing a grease fire within the Egg or at the very least having a lot of bad smoke from the drippings.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • I love green beans with sesame seeds, worstechire and garlic. Cooked in an aluminum pan under my spatchcock thats on a raised grill.
  • Que_n_Brew
    NJ_BBQ said:
    @Que-N-Brew - sorry cannot add anything here but am wondering how you can cook direct with bacon without causing a grease fire within the Egg or at the very least having a lot of bad smoke from the drippings.

Hasn't been a problem. I'm cooking at 300-325 so it's not "rolling" if you will. I haven't notice a problem with bad smoke either. I do "chicken bombs" raised direct and they are wrapped in bacon as well. image
  • Que_n_Brew
    mrosener said:
    Potato Casserole

Ingredients
    1 package Ore Ida Frozen Hash Browns (these: http://www.oreida.com/Products/S/Southern-Style#.UdoVFjt958E)
    1 ¼ sticks butter
    2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    8 ounces sour cream
    3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
    1 can Cream of Celery soup
    Corn Flakes (enough to fill one zip lock bag…probably 1-2 cups)
    Pinch Salt
    Pinch Pepper

Directions
    Thaw the Hash Browns (usually in the fridge the day before)
    Preheat oven to 350
    Put aside ¼ stick of butter and corn flakes
    Melt 1 stick of butter
    Mix all ingredient except the ¼ stick of butter and corn flakes in a large mixing bowl
    Grease a casserole dish and fill with the mixture
    Put the Corn Flakes in a zip lock bag and crush (not too much though)
    Melt the remaining ¼ stick of butter and mix with the Corn Flakes
    Put the buttered corn flakes on top of the mixture in the casserole dish
    Bake at 350 for around 45 minutes

You had me at 1 1/4 sticks of butter. :D
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited March 2014
    This is a summertime staple at our place. VERY ADDICTIVE (especially after a few beers).

Caesar BLT Pasta Salad
    (adapted from Food Network)

16 oz. mini farfalle (bowties)
    1 lb. bacon
    1 pint sugar plum tomatoes, sliced
    1 c. Gardini’s Caesar dressing
    1/2 c. parmesan
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 c. olive oil
    Juice of one lemon
    4 c. chopped romaine lettuce

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water to al dente, then drain. (I cooked mine the night before and tossed it with the olive oil and lemon juice and marinated it in the refrigerator overnight.) This keeps the pasta from sticking together.

Cut the bacon into bite size pieces and cook in a large skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard the bacon grease; leaving just a tablespoon or so in the skillet. Add the sliced tomatoes and minced garlic and toss in the skillet for just a couple of minutes to cook the garlic and soften the tomatoes. Remove from heat and let sit until cool.

Since the pasta is nice and cold from being refrigerated overnight; just mix in the Caesar dressing, bacon, tomato mixture, olives and Parmesan, then toss in the chopped lettuce at the end and it’s ready to go! Serve at room temperature.

Caesar BLT Pasta Salad

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    How about roasted corn on the cob ? I usually pull the husk back and removed the silk, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and garlic pepper. Pull husk back over the ear and put on the egg, turn them a couple of times. Usually done in a half hour to 45 minutes.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings