Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Rib HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Options
Just put some nice pork spare ribs on the Egg, indirect, 250 deg. Been on for 2.5 hrs and the internal temp is already at 180 deg! From what Ive read, these ribs take 5-6 hrs depending on temperature. I was planning to have them ready for dinner tonight, but did not think they would be done 3hrs early. Am I missing something here?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here is what they look like.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Is the meat tender? I don't cook ribs to a temp, more to the texture.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Bend test and not temp. Maybe the toothpick test. If the get done just ftc them. No worries.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Don't temp check ribs...just let them get happy. Just looking at them, they're a lil over 2 hours away from being done. Since you cut them in half, do the toothpick test.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Did the tooth pick test. On the upper half when looking at the picture, the tooth pick went in with very little resistance. The lower half had a bit more resistance. The upper half is NOT as meaty, so Im thinking its closer to being done than the lower one?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Is the bend test accurate when you cut the ribs in half @Little Steven ? If it were me I'd FTC. And put them back on 1 hour before dinner. Depending on when dinner is
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

FTC is what? Foil right? LOL LOL 

I was wondering also about the bend test with a slab cut in half

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    FTC-foil, towels and cooler to hold the cooked meat til time to eat.  You can easily run  four hours if you eliminate the dead air space with towels (as long as the cooler is a reasonable size).  Not @Little_Steven and don't pretend to be but for me the toothpick test is the way to go on racks that are cut in half.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    THX! I was right .33% LOL
  • henapple
    Options
    If one side is cooking faster..turn the ribs around or put foil under neath the fat side.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I was gonna say FTC is For Takeout Call ...-...-.... Lol
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I just sprinkled some brown sugar on them and a little bit of Parkay butter. I'll wait another 30 to 45 minutes for that stuff to settle in and then I'll pull the ribs and foil them. Dinner is set for another 2.5 hrs lol
  • henapple
    Options
    They'll ftc that long easily
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Should I FTC the slabs individually or wrapped them together?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I didn't say bend test or toothpick test. I don't do half racks and I don't foil. I only make ribs when I have a lot of people to cook for. I usually just sacrifice a rib and see how much resistance there is to puling it out if it pulls out the way I want it to they're done, if it doesn't I leave them on longer. I move mine during the cook from back to front and vive-versa. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I doubt this will help you much at this point but 5-6 hrs. for spare ribs at 250* sounds like a long time to me. I would have said 3-4 would do the job.

I'd probably just wrap both slabs together but can't really see why it would matter either way. I'm not sure I've ever needed to FTC ribs,

I'm sure they're going to be great regardless!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Just pulled them off! Tooth pick slid in and out like a prom queen!