Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

You NEED to do this!!

cazzycazzy Posts: 7,930
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Okay, this may have been lost in my failed brisket thread, but you NEED to do this if you have a adjustable rig and rig extender.

I didn't even know if it would work, but the results were fabulous and the best store bought sausage I've had off the egg!  The smoke flavor was incredible...I think mainly from the fat dripping on the lump.  It literally reminded me of a sausage I had from Lockhart as a kid.  It was nothing special either, just the Kiolbassa Sausage pack.  Not the individual 8 pack, the one big link that is snaked in the package.  When I bought them, I saw the creases and it just popped in my head about how I was going to cook them.  

Direct over your lump hanging from the rig extender!  I've finally used the extender @tjv and it will be used a hell of a lot more going forward!!    B-)

Just make sure to pull them before the casings split too bad.  Mine did, but they were awesome!  Oh, also, don't have too much lump in the egg.  I used the left over lump from a long cook and it was perfect.
Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
·

Comments

• Philly35Philly35 Posts: 588
    How well did the smoke penetrate through the casing?
    NW IOWA
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,417
    I'm in
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I wish sausage was healthy. Though I smoked some chicken sausage yesterday and they turned out really good.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Great setup. I've smoked homemade kielbasi on the Egg before, but I really like this way.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,930
    edited March 2014
    Philly35 said:
    How well did the smoke penetrate through the casing?
    Smokier than any sausage I've had off the egg.  As mentioned, I think it was the fat drippings.  The entire time, the egg was smoking heavily.  The chips I put in there before I tossed the sausage in smelled off, so I just let them burn out, then tossed the sausage in.  I don't think they contributed at all.

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,651
    edited March 2014
    Wish I have the extender for my AR.  Being thinking of fabricating couple of braces across the top of AR and hang tandoori chicken from them using butcher S-hooks ... easier and more capacity than pushing four foot wrought iron skewers through the small dome opening.
    canuckland
    ·
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,303
    I LOVE sausage from the egg. Never would have thought of doing it this way. What temp and what wood did you use? 
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,930
    minniemoh said:
    I LOVE sausage from the egg. Never would have thought of doing it this way. What temp and what wood did you use? 
    300 and I really didn't use any wood.  I was using Ozark Oak, so I would say use Oak if you use anything.  

·
  • tkleagertkleager Posts: 532
    This now gives me reason to buy an AR and extender.  Going to have to try this with Garlic Sausage that we get at the local grocery.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,324
    I gotta try that with sausage.  maybe nice sugar maple and apple smoke or just pecan.

maybe on boudin too.

thanks for sharing

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • I WILL be doing this. Thanks for the post. Sounds great.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,213
    If anyone doesn't have the rig extender, you can "rig" something up with heavy gauge wire or rod.

·
  • That is pretty genius. I made this extender rack. It was pretty easy to do. image
    photo.JPG 221.1K

·
  • SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    Smart idea. Thanks can. Gotta try this out.
    ·
  • laserdoc85laserdoc85 Posts: 575
    Try some breakfast patties direct at dome temp about 350. They will smoke like a mother but they will be the best breakfast patties you ever had. Got to love the drippings on the lump
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
    ·
  • That just looks to good. I wonder how that would work on my fresh homemade venison sausage. I didn't cut the casing on them so I should be able to hang them. Thanks for the idea @Cazzy, can't wait to try it out.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·