Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strips tasted like gas or VOC's.. Spoiled some great steaks!

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
I was buying into the "its all in your head" regarding the VOC smell/taste off of some lumps.  Then I spoiled over $40 of NY Strip Loins last night.  I did a reverse sear with a bag of WESTERN lump charcoal and the result was a bad, almost gassy taste on my expensive steaks.  I used my  BGE electric starter in only ONE SPOT in the middle of a full fire ring (about half of the lump was leftover from turbo 350 ribs the night before).  About 7-8 minutes later I puller the electric starter and left the bottom vent wide open and the top off.  About 10 minutes later I shut the vent down to 3/8 inch and set the Daisy Wheel only partially open once the temp approached 250 degrees.  It didn't stabilize until I was almost at 300.  It was about 5 minutes later that I started the low temp portion of the cook and did that until the IT of the steaks were 120 degrees.  At that time I pulled the steaks and the plate setter and brought the temp to 650 and then finished the cook.  I suspect the steaks were ruined during the early stages of the low and slow.  The temp was right on but the taste was not great.  The foul taste masked the taste of the meat.  BTW, the ST Louis ribs I turbo'd the night before had  no foul taste???  WTF?? I have not had a bad cook like this since I cooked with Cowboy lump at a low temp.  

Suggestions????  Should I light the lump in several places instead of just the center?  At what temperature inside the egg do the VOC's burn off?  How long does it take at 250-275 to burn off the VOC's?  Should I bag the reverse sear or may do it at a higher temp?  Should I do the high temp sear and then the low temp cook?  Did anyone else have this experience with Western lump from Cabelas?  I was having good success until this happened.  How can I avoid it in the future?  

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd say every lump is different. Wait till the smell coming out of the top is clean. I've heard of lump taking an hour. Can you get anything other than cowboy?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I've been using Rockwood with great results but I had a gift card for Cabelas and all they sell is Western so I thought I would give it a try.  I did get clear smoke before I started but it turned white shortly after that.   I'l be staying with the Rockwood.  The strange part is that the turbo ribs the night before had no bad taste and I used the same lump but that was at 350-400. Must be user error.  I fell for the fake clear smoke trick!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Rockwood is in my opinion the only way to go!!!! Ignite leave for 20-30 min Enjoy

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    This happened to me one time too on a Boston Butt. Kids loved it but I thought is was terrible. Tossed it and changed lump and never looked back. All good now. Let it burn until it is clean.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Take what I say for a grain of salt, because I'm very much a rookie, but I let all cooks begin with 20-30 min of at least 300 just to be sure. Clear smoke as others said too. Also I should say I haven't tried many other lumps besides royal oak.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Like the others said, you just hafta wait til the lump starts to burn clean. It is hit or miss with any brand of lump IMHO. I've had lump burn clean in just 20 minutes and I've had it take upwards of 1.5 hours to start burning clean. I've used many, many brands over the years and it seems to be hit or miss. Right when I think I have the "perfect brand," I'll come across a bag that disappoints. And other brands that I swear I'll never purchase again, I'll give it another go and it does fine. Like I said, it's hit or miss. You just hafta keep your nose on the smoke until the lump starts burning clean. A dirty plate setter, fire bowl, fire ring or previously burned coals with drippings on them will also contribute to bad smelling smoke.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Also, another trick I do on a low and slow cook, or if I want to make sure the VOC's are cooked off if I'm doing an initial low temp and then finishing with a higher temp.... Give the coals a stir after you "think" the bad smoke has cleared and give it 10 or 15 more minutes. Sometimes you'll notice a little bit more dirty smoke cooking off during that time frame.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    For steaks, I typically let the Egg rip with the vent and the dome open for at least 10 - 15 minutes.  I then close the lid and start adjusting with bottom vent only - no Daisy wheel.  This works very well even with the very smokey Royal Joke lump.  OO is my favorite so far.
    Milton, GA.