Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any I ideas for today's cook?

Options

For today's cook I have:

2 - Medium sized, fresh off the hog, racks of ribs

6 - bone in, split chicken breasts (about a little over a pound each)

8- good sized thighs

As many wings as I can fit

I have about a 4-5 hour cook window. Thought the best bet would be 350 indirect. This would be my first attempt at turbo ribs and first time indirect with chicken. I would like to get everything done close to the same time (except the wings, hopefully, I can eat some of them during the cook). I have a large egg with three tiers available. I think I can fit. Any ideas on cook times? Should I start the ribs, then add the chicken or just throw it all on there and see what happens?

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

According to the turbo rib threads, they take a couple of hours.  Chicken usually about one hour.  I would get the ribs on and after an hour bring on the chicken.

Look up those threads yourself because I haven't done them turbo yet.  I'm planning on ribs today, so I was looking at the threads myself.  If it doesn't turn out, tell your wife you listened to some cartoon caveman dork who gave you a bum steer.  If it turns out, you're a genius. 

Flint, Michigan
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The ribs will probably take 2 - 2.5 hours, in my experience. Maybe a little less.
    NOLA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Maybe turbo the ribs then wrap(FTC). Cook the chicken direct for the hour then unwrap ribs and sauce and let them ride along with the chicken for the last 1/2 hour.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Smoked_Turtle
    Options
    My wife would never use me and genius in the same sentence. It's too late for that. Thanks for the tips. 
  • Smoked_Turtle
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Maybe turbo the ribs then wrap(FTC). Cook the chicken direct for the hour then unwrap ribs and sauce and let them ride along with the chicken for the last 1/2 hour.
    Might try this. I do like my chicken over the open flames.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited March 2014
    Options
    With 4-5 hour cook window you wouldn't have to turbo. Although there is nothing wrong with turbo. As for the chicken try "the chicken" recipe on the naked wiz site
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2014
    Options

My wife would never use me and genius in the same sentence. It's too late for that. Thanks for the tips. 

This is the truest statement ever uttered on this forum. It applies to us all.