Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Is this a good cutting board?

Options
2»

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I am a chef in a commercial kitchen, and I can honestly say I never have had a Boos board split on me.

I season when I get them, and only clean with a sanitizer and or rinse under water and wipe immediately and never submerge in water. Stand up right at the end of the day. There is no need to oil over and over again after washing. Another chef friend of mine uses comet to clean and rises off, same result as myself with long lasting boards.

I opened up a new facility 36 months ago next week, and I have the same 5 boards. I am sure I put mine to more use than in a household environment. My Boos boards 18x26 were $88 each. Quite inexpensive compared to the OP.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Mine were about the same price as yours. I have the same ones they use on all the food network shows. If you look closely at the ones on the shows they are all splitting also.
  • Lit
    Options

I am also sure you use yours way more than I do. I only oil them if I scrub them with soap and I only scrub them when I put raw meat on them. I never submerge them I stand them up in th esink and spray then scrub then spray again and dry. The first one started splitting on the end of the board which is where I would expect it but the one I have now is splitting in 2 places in the middle. It isn't bad yet because it is being held together on each end of the split but theres a little groove you can feel with your finger nail. When I returned the first one th elady at William sonoma said it split because I wasn't oiling it enough but I went through a full bottle of mineral oil in 6 months on that board.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    @maskedmarvel there is a guy locally, I think High Point, who makes very high end custom cutting boards. I toured his shop a few years. His stuff is top notch. I will try to look him up if you are interested but you can probably find him on google. An added bonus, he gave me a ton of cherry and maple wood to use for smoking.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    @maskedmarvel there is a guy locally, I think High Point, who makes very high end custom cutting boards. I toured his shop a few years. His stuff is top notch. I will try to look him up if you are interested but you can probably find him on google. An added bonus, he gave me a ton of cherry and maple wood to use for smoking.

Thanks man. That'd be awesome. The beauty of this board is really nice. I'm very disappointed.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

Hi54putty said:

Thanks man. That'd be awesome. The beauty of this board is really nice. I'm very disappointed.

Www.theboardsmith.com in Archdale. Would be worth a visit just to see how he makes them. Nice guy.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Options
    I have always heard good things about the board smith on this forum in the past. If he's also local to you I would check him out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    i would look for maple end grain 3 inch minimum, the thicker the better to avoid splitting. i have without a doubt the worst kitchen out there in eggland, 1960 blue rug glued down, plywood walls, the prior french inhabitants back in the 80's found counters and hung them on the wall as cabinets, i know they were counters from the six inches of dirty floor wax surrounding the bottoms.
    :)) instead of a kitchen remodel i bought a lacanche cluny range and a boos le rustica table with 50 x 28 x4 inch endgrain maple top. my total countertop is 14 inches wide and my cutting block is 50 inches wide
    :D i really like the boos block, it even looks good sitting on that oil stained blue wreck of a carpet
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    i would look for maple end grain 3 inch minimum, the thicker the better to avoid splitting. i have without a doubt the worst kitchen out there in eggland, 1960 blue rug glued down, plywood walls, the prior french inhabitants back in the 80's found counters and hung them on the wall as cabinets, i know they were counters from the six inches of dirty floor wax surrounding the bottoms.
    :)) instead of a kitchen remodel i bought a lacanche cluny range and a boos le rustica table with 50 x 28 x4 inch endgrain maple top. my total countertop is 14 inches wide and my cutting block is 50 inches wide
    :D i really like the boos block, it even looks good sitting on that oil stained blue wreck of a carpet
    Nice! I like your range better than LS's Wolf. I saw them in W-S one time. Me want. Me want in burgundy.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

Kitchen pics please so I can tell my wife it could be worse.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Make yourself and your knives happy...get a boardsmith.  I have had mine for 3 years and it still looks great and I use it multiple times a day.  It has also been great for my knives (another expensive hobby) as he puts together a really good board with the right wood. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    REAL men make their own cutting boards. 

Tear out a chunk of airport tarmac with your bare hands and use that under a slab of aircraft carrier oak flight deck.  Tear the head off a bat with your teeth and the squirting arterial blood makes an excellent and manly glue to connect the two.
    Options
    gmac

heres the whole kitchen minus the fridge next to the rosemary, im standing in bedroom doorway with the front door to the left and the living room door to the right next to the stove. it looks better in a picture. the wall paper behind the stove is maybe 1940,s vintage, origional with the home. havent found a better place to keep the vacuum cleaner yet

:D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it