Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey and Clams Before the Sunday (non)Storm

Options
Well, the storm was a bust, but the turkey and clams more than made up for it.  Hastily bought a 5.5 lb. turkey breast BJ's late Sunday morning.  Raced against time and the forecasted rain/sleet/snow to pull off a quickie 2 hour brine in solution of kosher salt, maple syrup and some other stuff I was able to throw in, bring to a boil, and ice-cool.  Dried the beast off, rubbed it down with Tiny Town Turkey blend from Savory in Princeton, NJ (a holdover from T'giving).  Fired up the egg --  250 degrees, indirect, over a handful of apple and cherry chips and atop a pan of liquid love:  beer, mustard, garlic, bbq sauce, and seasonings. About 3 hrs later, we had 160 degrees inside, crispy skin and juicyness beyond expectations.  While the turkey rested, I pulled the PS, and slid on a tray of clams in white wine, butter, garlic, lemon, and parsley.  Pretty nice appetizer.  The clams disappeared quickly, but there was enough turkey for burritos and quesadillas this week.  

I don't get too many views or comments, but I still do like the sharing and appreciate all I'm learning from everyone else's posts.  I'm full-on in the cult now here in my corner of northern Delaware.  Safe to say the egg has shaken things up at my house.  Using the big Weber gasser mostly to hold the PS or the grate when I'm making adjustments to the egg.  Who'da thunk it? 
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I love me some claims and mussels.  Will have to try that this summer when it warms up a little bit.  Great looking cook.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Turkey is now a staple around my house. Before the egg turkey only showed up on thanksgiving. Looks like you nailed it!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Hey man that's nice looking!  Did the clams take on any smoky or fire cooked flavor? I want to do that and give them a little kiss of smoke.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Nice job. That turkey looks good. Nice and juicy. Have you ever brined it longer? Thinking about doing this in a few days, and may brine it overnight? Too long? The clams look good too.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks good. Keep on posting.
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice looking bird- good call on the clams. Haven't seen them done on here before
    Greensboro, NC
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking bird! Looks like you nailed it.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Awww, appreciate the comments -- now I feel like I'm in the club!

I've typically done a whole big bird on the big Weber gasser for T'giving -- 22-26 lbs, brined for 12-18 hrs, dried in the fridge for a like amount of time and then on the grate for 11 mins+/lb. I was very skeptical here brining for so short a period of time.  It was juicy and texture was good, but I definitely think it'd be even better if it had brined overnight.

For smoke, I went with chips rather than chunk, which I think is better for poultry as it's less likely to overwhelm it.  It had really nice flavor and even what looked to me as a bit of a ring.  Was thrilled with the result.    

The clams were great, too -- definitely had some smoke flavor, which never came through on the gasser.  (At least what I was able to get of them, as the 15 y/o and the 12 y/o mowed through them very quickly). 

All of this was so much better than on the Weber -- it's an entirely different taste experience.  But then again, everything on the egg really is.   
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks great. I do clams on the egg often in the summer. I throw them directly on the grid then take them off when open. Of course..don't eat the quitters!
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Great looking meal :)

I've done clams a few times, I just put them in a grill basket and pull them off when they pop open.  They don't last very long and usually result in a few burnt fingertips on friends jumping the gun a little