Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed chicken thighs question - fail

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
OK where did I go wrong.

We went and got some boneless/skinless chicken thighs from the grocery store.  I pounded them thin then placed on a plate.  I used a slice of swiss cheese and a couple of slices of deli meat ham.  I rolled the chicken thighs and tied and coated with salt.pepper.

Got the Egg up to 400 and added some pecan chips.  Put the thighs on raised direct - ~30 minutes until the center was 175-180. 

Served with basic canned white potatos cooked on the stove top.

Now when cutting into the chicken most of them had no cheese in them and not allot of flavor.  Where did I go wrong.  I should have taken pics but the phone was dead.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If your layers were as said above (thigh, cheese, ham), I typically put the cheese on last.   The other stuffing seem to hold the cheese in better this way IMHO.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Well you could try different meats, some herbs and/or spices and more cheese.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Well one most of the cheese was gone.  One had none left.

Adding more spices/herbs - this is my problem - I dont have a clue.

Was going to try stuffed chicken breasts (in the oven though as I dont have time to Egg it) but stuffing with crumbled proscuitto, fresh mozzarella and sliced grape tomatos.  Was going to put them in a baking dish and cook at 350 until internal 160 temp.

Does this sound good or will this be bland as well?  Should I not use cheese with chicken as it will oooze out?

I am trying to make chicken edible and not taste like cardboard.

Garnerville, NY
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Sounds like a decent plan... if you find you don't have enough flavor, season the way you normally feel is good, and then add two more pinches of salt, kosher salt, the only salt you should be using...

Those canned white potatoes you mentioned, you might as well have skipped them and had ice cream, they are about as bad if not worse for you... For veggies you need to think colors, peppers, greens, spinach, etc.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Rob you sound a lot like me. I don't seem to have good luck at first. I usually succeed, but it takes a while. I have not been very adventurous in my cooks for fear of screwing it up. 

I know I have to get over that fear and just do it and learn from it. I hope you get this worked out. I want to try it also. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • robnybbq
    Options
    hapster said:
    Sounds like a decent plan... if you find you don't have enough flavor, season the way you normally feel is good, and then add two more pinches of salt, kosher salt, the only salt you should be using...

Those canned white potatoes you mentioned, you might as well have skipped them and had ice cream, they are about as bad if not worse for you... For veggies you need to think colors, peppers, greens, spinach, etc.
    This is what my other half wanted.

I need to find ways to cook vegetables to make them taste other than vegetables.  I definitely can not cook any of them on the Egg.  They all taste too smoky/sour. 

I can cook spinach buried in butter/garlic but no one else will eat it.  They like green beans - I cant stand them.  We all will eat carrots though - another starch high carb vegetable.

Garnerville, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Think about the way the stuff you are adding tastes. Ham...meh, swiss cheese...a little flavor but not a lot. Proscuitto...more flavor but mainly salt, grape tomatoes...a bit of acid but not a lot of real oomph, mozzarella...bland but nice texture melted. Try sundried tomato, garlic, some fresh basil or sage leaf and a few chili flakes. Maybe some lemon zest and some pepper. Learn what flavours you like and use them to compliment your protein. Season the meat as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Canned potato?

Don't have time to cook it on the Egg? Maybe you should take run over to Martha Stewarts pages and you can look at some crafts while your breast cooks.

I don't get it dude.
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    Sorry in advance but seriously I have never heard anyone talk about canned potatoes on this forum. We made those at duck camp 30 years ago never tried again. Nuke a potato and finish on the egg if you are pressed for time. 
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I too have found grilling chicken rolled up around cheese, most of the cheese is gone when it's done.
    I've taken to wrapping it in foil so the cheese can't drip away.
    Now if taste is what you want, forget the cheese, rub some jerk seasoning on the thighs and just cook them as is, no hammering flat, rolling them up etc.  steam some veggies and then pour melted cheese over the veggies.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• robnybbq
    Options
    Was lookin to try something as I have seen allot of stuffed dishes lately. It just did not come out good. I wanted somehing other than BBQ chicken using BBQ rubs.

I don't have time to cook meals on the egg this week so we will be doing them indoors in the oven. Wife can use the oven and cook the food. By the time I get home and try to light the egg it will be late.

THe potatoes are what we had on hand. Burried in butted/salt and pan fried they are done in a few minutes. Plus I have not found a way to make veggies taste good on the egg besides corn.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you measured the center at that temp it probably cooked way too long and therefore...no cheese. Try measuring the chicken temp and be sure to secure the ends really well. Been there, done that.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    Options
    There was meat in the center as I rolled it up like a spiral.  I used the Thermopen to read it.  The chicken was cooked right - just lacked allot of flavor.

I guess I will just stick to briskets, pork butts and steak as they are all I can cook well on the Egg and forget about about the fancy foods.  And when I want something different then just go out to eat.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    Damn, I wouldn't quit trying. Stuff with some things like sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts or olives. These have bold flavors that go well with the pork. Personally I like S&P on red meat but like something more on pork.

Hang in there. Everybody here has had a fail.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    I wouldn't give up.  Half the fun is trial and error.  If it was supper easy then everyone would do it and have their own restaurant.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• robnybbq
    Options
    I just hate wasting food/time.  I don't have allot of time to Egg as it is, so I want to make it count.

This and still battling with how to create a "Healthy" eating plan that will work for me and the family as got me going nuts.

Options - Find a healthy way to make chicken so its not bland and taste like cardboard with salt and spices on it or bake chicken in the oven with tons of sauce/cheese and load up on fats/calories.  One day maybe.

Garnerville, NY
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

+1 on 86-ing the canned potatoes. Also, BRINE your chicken first. That will keep it juicy as well as infuse flavor. Do you like spicy? Consider a light dusting of Cayenne powder or buy a rub that looks interesting (Byrons Butt Rub is an old standby for me. I like the Dizzy Pig line better overall) as a stop-gap.

I can't tell you how many Egg fails I've had. Many still come up in family conversation

:((

Ya just gotta keep at it...and keep reading this forum..it's the BEST place for answering your questions and showing off.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    oh...There's nothing wrong with getting some cookbooks. I have about 250 of all types and cuisines. Find something that grabs you and run with it.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • saluki2007
    Options
    I try to do only healthy cooking during the week.  Whether that's on the egg or in the kitchen, doesn't matter.  Here are a few websites that I use for inspiration and ideas.

Hope these help.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Make 1/2 cup of rub using spices that you already have in your pantry (onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, five spice, brown sugar, instant coffee, etc. (common sense quantities, but be creative). Spatchcock one chicken and rub that sucker down really well...then put it in the fridge overnight. Sometime the next day, set up the egg indirect with a pan to catch the drippings. Dome temp 400F. Wrap some medium sized potatoes in foil. Put the chicken in the egg along with the taters and cook for 60 minutes.

There is not way that this will be a boring meal. No way!

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    My favorite rub for chicken thighs is Yardbird.  The flavor is incredible!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SpartanPride
    Options
    I've found that provolone holds together better than some other cheeses. I haven't tried Swiss, but I've used some others that seem to be more runny than provolone.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I have done Spatchcock chickens and they come out good.  We usually use jake's coffee rub on them.  The skin has all the flavor and the chicken breast still tastes like plain chicken but juicy.  Still not what I was after.  Taking leftover spatchcock and burying it in mayonaise/lemon juice for chicken salad (not healthy) is doable but not exciting.

I was looking for ways to make chicken taste good and not just smoke and BBQ flavor.  I have Bad Byrons (I like it on pork - loins or butts - not on ribs),  (I have DP rubs as well (Raging river, tsunami spin, red eye express, cow lick, Pinapple head) - but these taste like BBQ and not something different.  I have found just using the rub makes the chicken just taste like the rub or salty if I am explaining it right.

I usually cook the spatchcock at 400 raised direct for ~1 hour  (160 breast/180 thighs) - never did it indirect.

On a steak - using cowlick - it's a winner
    Pineapple head on Pineapples - winner
    tsunami on chicken - good at times but I do not love the flavor - good is buried in a sauce though
    raging river - on salmon is good
    Red eye - OK on pork but a little too strong of flavors for me so I dont use it allot.

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    Options
    Try injecting....
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I try to do only healthy cooking during the week.  Whether that's on the egg or in the kitchen, doesn't matter.  Here are a few websites that I use for inspiration and ideas.

Hope these help.
    Thanks for the links - I want to try something this weekend - maybe the stuffed flank steak if time allows.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Do you have Costco or BJ's membership?  Here is an easy method for flank steak pinwheels:

Step 1: Go to BJs and buy them
    Step 2: Remove plastic lid, put on egg :P. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Try looking up recipes for chicken saltimbocca. I've made them w. pounded thighs. Prosciutto and a sage leaf goes on in the inside. Often its served w. some sort of sauce topping, but I just put a small slab of provolone on the top of each a few minutes before removing them from the Egg.

And speaking of vegetables, I found a recipe for an acorn squash and feta cheese casserole. It adds standard ingredients, such as onion, garlic and bell peppers (I skipped the bell peppers, which I hate.) Adds a couple of eggs and some plain yogurt, dash of cayenne. Turned out really really good. Just google "acorn squash feta" for the recipe.

It would also make a good quiche filling.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you have Costco or BJ's membership?  Here is an easy method for flank steak pinwheels:

Step 1: Go to BJs and buy them
    Step 2: Remove plastic lid, put on egg :P. 

I do this except with Costco. Feta and spinach FTW.
  • henapple
    edited March 2014
    Options
    FTW? Pretty passionate about feta...
  • henapple
    Options
    Yep