Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Junk on bottom of plate setter

Options
After my last turbo cook of 2 pork shoulders (plate setter feet up) I noticed my foil missed a few areas and I had drippings on the plate setter. No big deal and I could understand it. What I found curious was a similar stain on the bottom of the plate setter which should have just been exposed to the fire. My wife thought it had a burnt plastic smell to it. I didn't think much of it but as I went to clean my plate setter I was forced to try and clean both sides at once which didn't go well. So my question is, how did the bottom of the plate setter get dirty? The only thing I can think of is that I put the plate setter on right after I started the fire starter and it was a waxy build up (but that should be easily cleaned by the pork shoulder cook) or it was chicken fat leftover from a previous cook (but that also should have been burnt off).
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• North_Is_Up
    Options
    Can't tell what happened exactly in your situation, but I foil my platesetter. Peel off a layer and put some more foil back on for next time.I think I have about 10 layers of foil on it right now.  :D
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Any pics?
    NW IOWA
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Sadly I didn't take any pics. It looked like normal burnt drippings but since it was the bottom I was really trying to figure out what it could be. I am trying a pizza for the first time in a cast iron skillet and I hope it comes out better than how I smell right now (after fighting with all the smoke). Oh well, I'm new so I guess it's all just a learning experience.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    When you take out the PS how do you store it? Perhaps something stuck to it when you set it down and burned off during your last cook.
    Dave - Austin, TX