Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our President's Day

Options

I took the day off yesterday to spend with Mrs. G. When I asked her what she wanted to do for the day, she surprised me by saying let's go to the shooting range. I'm always up for that. Started out shooting some clay pigeons and then worked our way over to the rifle range. Brought out my .270 and a couple of .22s. I just inherited a Rueger 10/22 and wanted to see how it compared side by side with a Marlin 60. I guess not side by side as the Marlin has a scope.  I need to dial the .270 back in as it was shooting high right. The .22s both did pretty well. I was surprised at the Rueger 10/22. 100 yards and iron sights and it was hitting the black all day. Pretty fun afternoon.

Nothing tops off a day of shooting like an ice cold beer. We came home and sat on the patio and enjoyed the 70 degree temps. I know some of you have a problem with light beers, but for some reason that's what I like after coming home from the range and the old school can just drew me in.

What's better than shooting and then cold beers? Hamburgers. Or over the top hamburgers with double patties, Chihuahua cheese and a couple of thick slices of bacon ;:D The beans and corn on the cob didn't make it in the picture.

I'm a little embarrased about that picture, but then again, we did miss lunch and when I weighed myself yesterday I was down even more to 186lbs, so its ok. Plus I didn't finish it. Should have just gone with one patty.

Overall, I'd say it was a pretty darn good day.

:D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Darn good?

I'd say damn good!!! Looks like a lot of fun... and the burger looks amazing!
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Sounds like a good day to me. I'm glad you waited until after the range to enjoy the cold beverage haha. I have a 10/22 that I got when I was a kid and it is a tack driver, I can't wait to have my son start shooting it. I would not be embarrassed about that burger, it looks like a masterpiece! Its cool that your wife enjoys shooting, not to many good woman out there like that anymore.

Oh and btw, miller lite tastes better out of the old school cans 
    ;)
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    Sounds like a great day.  Our local range is closed during duck season to because it is in the middle of a major game preserve, but it just reopened.  I finally got my wife to go last year, and I think I have her hooked on it.  My brother is also getting into guns this year.  Also to top it all off, Remington just announced an expansion right down the road in Huntsville.  Looks like I am going to have to get a Remington this year then.

Sounds like it's going to be a good year for us firearms enthusiasts in North Alabama.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The retro Miller Lite can really does make it taste better - I'm convinced
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Guns, beer, over-the-top burger...all enjoyed with your significant other. That is one heck of a day.  I think the double burger was worth it just for the photo op.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    That burger is over the top >:)  Bet it was good too.  BTW what we talked about in Plano is still available. Email me.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Beautiful burger!  It isn't easy for us gun enthusiasts out this way. But we will continue our fight.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Light beer is okay, crappy light beer is not ;)

Here is good light beer:

Either way, your day was better than mine. Hooray stomach virus!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

I wish we had that here.  Sigh
    NOLA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I find I have a steadier hand at the range after a few. Did you call Miller Lite old skool?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:

I find I have a steadier hand at the range after a few. Did you call Miller Lite old skool?

The police might think differently if you get pulled over.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Hopefully he isn't driving, shooting, and drinking all at the same time.
    NOLA
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I think that every President would be proud of that day!
    Funny thing is my wife used to go fishing with me BEFORE we got married.....
    Chester, MD
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Thanks @hapster It was a pretty good day.

@shadowcaster I am lucky that she enjoys guns. We both grew up shooting. I liked the Rueger, but still prefer the Marlin. THink I'll get a scope for the Rueger just for fun one of these days.

@thetrim I don't know if it really does, but its nice to think so. Brings badck memories.

@smokeypitt it was tasty, but way too much for me.

@Austin_Egghead will do. Just need to get some work done here first.

@Eggcelsior we don't get that around ehre unless you look hard for it. Miller Lite fit the bill for the day. I drank a bunch of other good beers the day before and wasn't looking for anything fancy. Hope you get over your stomach virus soon.

@henapple yes, I did. In reference to the ole skool kan. I find I have a steadier hand after one or two, but I'd only do that at the ranch with nobody around.

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    buzd504 said:

henapple said:

Hopefully he isn't driving, shooting, and drinking all at the same time.

Duh...that's how we roll in Tennessee. Cats are 100 points. 1500 total Sunday morning is a good day.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Guns, burgers and beer is the perfect day! Nice way to spend the day with the Mrs. My wife loves plinking with the 10/22 ruger I have with nice leopold scope. Have a couple small caliber metal spinner targets that she loves to hit.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Whats that green stuff on the ground?  Ours is all white and will probably be that way for the next 5 months.

Garnerville, NY
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    The green stuff on the ground looks like the Brady Bunches back yard.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@Brisket_Fanatic plinking sure is fun and a cheap way to work on your marksmanship, but it really doesn't compare to firing off a heavy caliber. I haven't put any thought into a scope for it yet. I'm happy with the cheap Cabella model I put on my Marlin 60, so I'll probably do that one again.

@robnybbq fake Astroturf that lines our patio. It's a rent house, so what can you do? We'll be seeing low 70's and high 60's for the foreseeable 10 days. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    So true, first time I got the Mrs to shoot even the 9mm it scared the crap out of her. Working our way up to the 45

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Actually both pictures - even Eggcelsiors - it was ground cover with NO SNOW!

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Actually both pictures - even Eggcelsiors - it was ground cover with NO SNOW!
    My picture was culled from teh interwebz.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Burger looks good, man. Sounds like a day to envy.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Legit

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer