Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump Review - Not Feeling It

Options
13»

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've used RO exclusively for 3 years now.  It's just that or Cowboy out here.
    Never had any long cook problems with it, and am just plain happy with it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    LOL JK BROSKI
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Im getting a little tired of spending over $35.00 fo ra bag of lump up here, I think I can get RO from Lowes here or half bags at Canadian Tire for a lot cheaper than what I am paying for the current lump i am buying. However, the RO is a blue bag, I dont see any reviews on this one, or do I know the origin of this type? Has anyone used this RO before? I'll make a trip soon and see if I cant pick up a bag or two to try anyways. image
    I sure have! My dealer says he "intercepted" a truck load headed for Canada and he had several pallets of these bags. Same RO as the red bags as far as I was concerned except for some of the "fur-in" language and the weight being 8 kg. On a per pound basis it was priced the same as the then popular 10 and 20 pound bags we normally bought here. Go for it!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    Im getting a little tired of spending over $35.00 fo ra bag of lump up here, I think I can get RO from Lowes here or half bags at Canadian Tire for a lot cheaper than what I am paying for the current lump i am buying. However, the RO is a blue bag, I dont see any reviews on this one, or do I know the origin of this type? Has anyone used this RO before? I'll make a trip soon and see if I cant pick up a bag or two to try anyways. image
    I've used this, quite decent but not as nice as Maple Leaf or Basques Nature's Own.  Not worth regular retail of $14.99 (@ Lowes or Crappy Tire) when I can get Basques and Maple Leaf cheaper at Costco and Nella respectively.  BUT I stocked up on July 1 weekend when Lowes.ca had this RO at 50% off and free shipping ... you should've seen the UPS truck half filled with my RO lumps!

canuckland
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    Im getting a little tired of spending over $35.00 fo ra bag of lump up here, I think I can get RO from Lowes here or half bags at Canadian Tire for a lot cheaper than what I am paying for the current lump i am buying. However, the RO is a blue bag, I dont see any reviews on this one, or do I know the origin of this type? Has anyone used this RO before? I'll make a trip soon and see if I cant pick up a bag or two to try anyways.
    I sure have! My dealer says he "intercepted" a truck load headed for Canada and he had several pallets of these bags. Same RO as the red bags as far as I was concerned except for some of the "fur-in" language and the weight being 8 kg. On a per pound basis it was priced the same as the then popular 10 and 20 pound bags we normally bought here. Go for it!!!

Great, thanks, I'll have to try it out. It will be a huge savings.

@Cannugghead I have not seen any lump at any Costco's here, but I will deffinetly keep my eye open, and for any sales at Canadian Tire. Lowes carries the 20lb bags, Canadian Tire only carries the 10 lb ones here.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:
    Im getting a little tired of spending over $35.00 fo ra bag of lump up here, I think I can get RO from Lowes here or half bags at Canadian Tire for a lot cheaper than what I am paying for the current lump i am buying. However, the RO is a blue bag, I dont see any reviews on this one, or do I know the origin of this type? Has anyone used this RO before? I'll make a trip soon and see if I cant pick up a bag or two to try anyways.

Great, thanks, I'll have to try it out. It will be a huge savings.

@Cannugghead I have not seen any lump at any Costco's here, but I will deffinetly keep my eye open, and for any sales at Canadian Tire. Lowes carries the 20lb bags, Canadian Tire only carries the 10 lb ones here.

They don't carry it all the time (Costco), just a couple of times a year. Gary (Canugghead) usually does a heads up.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlbertaEgger
    Options

They don't carry it all the time (Costco), just a couple of times a year. Gary (Canugghead) usually does a heads up.
    Thanks LS, I'll keep an eye out for the heads up on this.  Or do the same if I hear anything.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada