Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket advice needed.

First of all, thanks in advance for the advice.  I've been reading the forum for the last couple of years, but don't post very often.  I'm doing my first packer brisket for the Super Bowl and I'm looking for advice from folks who have been successful.  I've been reading up on briskets and there are two schools of thought.  First the tried and trued low and slow method and then the hot and fast Myron Mixon method.  Which one is best?  Low and slow makes sense but no one can doubt the success of MM.  For those of you that have tried both, what do you suggest?
St. Mary's, GA

Comments

• ChuckGGaChuckGGa Posts: 115
    I have cooked them both ways. I think low and slow is great (if you have the time), but honestly - they both turn out well. Maybe a little more tender if low and slow (my opinion).

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• I would do low and slow for a couple of reasons.

1) It just feels better at the 12 hour mark of the cook

2) Timing. The last thing you want to do is not have it ready for your guests, low and slow, finish 2 hours early, foil, towel and cooler it until you are ready to cut.

• boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

I am in the low and slow camp.   My goals on Brisket are tenderness, flavor, moist, and Bark. 

I try to time so that I do not have to use foil during cooking to protect the bark.   I have not tried the paper wrap that has been discussed on here - but will be trying it soon.

Cookin in Texas
  • AltonAlton Posts: 443
    Low and slow with an extended FTC period... The. Best!!,
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Low & Slow.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,790
    edited February 2014
    I'm a long time low & slow guy.  I've tried hot & fast a few times and never got as good results.  I wish I could get the hot & fast to work as I'd love to save the time, just can't get them to come out as well.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,368
    I've never tried the hot n fast method. I've done 4 low n slow briskets and the last one I did was the best. Found a 13# prime packer for cheap and it took 20 hrs. Pulled it at 196 in the thickest part of the flat. Tender as butter. 
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    St. Mary's, GA