Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advice needed.

Options
First of all, thanks in advance for the advice.  I've been reading the forum for the last couple of years, but don't post very often.  I'm doing my first packer brisket for the Super Bowl and I'm looking for advice from folks who have been successful.  I've been reading up on briskets and there are two schools of thought.  First the tried and trued low and slow method and then the hot and fast Myron Mixon method.  Which one is best?  Low and slow makes sense but no one can doubt the success of MM.  For those of you that have tried both, what do you suggest?
St. Mary's, GA

Comments

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Options
    I have cooked them both ways. I think low and slow is great (if you have the time), but honestly - they both turn out well. Maybe a little more tender if low and slow (my opinion).

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Fake_Chow
    Options

I would do low and slow for a couple of reasons.

1) It just feels better at the 12 hour mark of the cook

2) Timing. The last thing you want to do is not have it ready for your guests, low and slow, finish 2 hours early, foil, towel and cooler it until you are ready to cut.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I am in the low and slow camp.   My goals on Brisket are tenderness, flavor, moist, and Bark. 

I try to time so that I do not have to use foil during cooking to protect the bark.   I have not tried the paper wrap that has been discussed on here - but will be trying it soon.

Cookin in Texas
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Low and slow with an extended FTC period... The. Best!!,
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Drewdlc17
    Options
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm a long time low & slow guy.  I've tried hot & fast a few times and never got as good results.  I wish I could get the hot & fast to work as I'd love to save the time, just can't get them to come out as well.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've never tried the hot n fast method. I've done 4 low n slow briskets and the last one I did was the best. Found a 13# prime packer for cheap and it took 20 hrs. Pulled it at 196 in the thickest part of the flat. Tender as butter. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    St. Mary's, GA