Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

On a scale from 1-10

Who's in favor of buying an adjustable rig? Been smoking/grilling for years on Weber wsm's, kettles, etc. Bought a LGBE a few months ago and am looking to enhance my Egg experience. Love how the Egg works so far with just the plate setter. Give me a rating with 10 being the highest. Thanks in advance.
Cherry Hill, NJ
·

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 3,273
    I have one for my large and XL. If they made one for the small or mini I'd have them too but had to settle for wood for them. Chicken wings on the fire ring direct are nearly impossible not to burn without a way to raise the grid.
    ·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 431

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,397
    Well, I own three, so I'm say'in 30.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,267
    ·
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 767
    10. Totally expands your options and capacity. If you have an AR / Woo2 combo, the only limit is your imagination and willingness to experiment.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,443
    Own two so 20.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,048
    edited January 2014
    Like everything with the Egg there is a multitude of ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.  However I'd say that besides a good/great instant read thermometer the AR for my large and the woo's for my medium and my small are the best money I've spent on the Egg besides the egg itself.  Scale of 1-10 I'd say a 15.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • Love mine best accessories I have purchased....put me in the 10 camp
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
    ·
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 194
    10! perhaps the best purchase you can make.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • &10
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,014
    I have the Woo3 with extender... if I hadn't gotten the plate setter before I knew about the AR I would have gotten that instead.

Still might :)
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,160
    1, If you don't need it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,646
    10 for sure

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,785
    Got the AR and sold the plate setter on criagslist. Best egg decision ever.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,489
    I think everyone who has one will reply "10" and everyone that doesn't will reply that it is probably nice but you don't really need it. 
    ·
  • 10 - it never leaves my egg.

Are there other, cheaper ways to do what this does? Yes.
    Are those cheaper ways more difficult/clumsy? Yes

Buying the egg was just the start...they have me hooked on accessories now.  None of them necessary, but that's not why we got the egg - it's not necessary either, we have ovens and stoves to cook on.  

Economists would say we're in luxuries by definition, things we want and don't need.  You're already in too deep.... get the AR :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,249
    10 for sure.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • 10 - Don't even think about it, just buy one and you will not regret it.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • corey24corey24 Posts: 306
    Guess it depends on your need.  Had I not already bought a place setter I would have probably went with AR.  Instead I went with cheaper Woo2 for my XL, which gets you up to grid line with out plate setter.  I also used a Weber Grid I already owned and added bolts, washers, and nuts to make extended grid.  Its cheaper and works great.  AR is great though.....

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,939

That is like asking a bunch of alcoholics 1-10 on alcohol.

10 for this guy. Need to get the grid extender though for even more versatility.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • pabpab Posts: 95
    10 for me too. Other than searing, all my cooks are raised on the AR!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,290

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,980

"That is like asking a bunch of alcoholics 1-10 on alcohol."

There goes my idea for a "Beer: On a acale of 1-10" thread....

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • 10 (booze) + 10 (beer)+ 10 (AR) = 30

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • Appreciate all the comments. I kinda figured they would be swayed a bit, just thought I'd throw it out there. Going to order in the next few days.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • flemsterflemster Posts: 257
    @hapster and I have the same set up. I love it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    10. Mine lives in my large and I will be pulling the trigger on one for my new XL
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,957
    ·
  • @eggcelsior. Well played.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
    ·