Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brown sugar/rib?

Options
I realized that myself and the family like our ribs a little sweeter than what i've been getting by just going 4-5hrs at 250 with no foil and some apple or cherry wood.
Can you put brown sugar into the initial rub mix from the beginning and let her go 4-5 hours at 250 deg or will the brown sugar burn at 250 for that long?? 

I want to keep it simple and not mess with foil and honey half way thr to cook.

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I make a rub that has brown sugar in it.  I've used it both on butts and ribs and it turns out great.  I don't think it should be a problem.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options

It's definitely going to burn without foiling. I would just add some on near the end of the cook with some melted butter or margarine.

Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Steroid
    Options
    I use brown sugar in my rub as well.  I like to stack the ribs (Sam's Club 3 pack) one on top of the other and rotate them every 30 to 45 mins.  Helps keep from burning.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    My home made rub has brown sugar..never foil and they never burn..turn out great.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    My rub has brown sugar and turbinado sugar in it.  It is my all purpose rub and I never have problems with it burning on ribs, butts or anything else it goes on for a low and slow. 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I also use coconut sugar. I think it has a higher burn point and I lime the taste better. I never had an issue at 250 with b.s. though.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I love brown sugar as my main ingredient in my rib rubs! I usually will add salt, pepper, a little paprika, garlic salt, Lawry's seasoning salt, and celery salt. My family does not like heat, including myself. I always do spare ribs and use the 3-2-1 method. When I foil them, I will cover them with honey and then add apple juice. I make sure I use a KC style sweet BBQ sauce also. Most rubs I've tried that are manufactured seem to be too hot for us. I prefer making my own for that reason.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    You might try turbinado (raw sugar). The crystals are bigger so it doesn't tend to burn as easily as brown sugar. I always use it in my rub if I'm adding sugar. It's readily available at most grocery stores.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I lifted this from another bbq forum after google search for the same thing, so I take no credit, but it does seem sound advice:

"In a rub application it takes a long time for the rub itself to hit burn temperature in an oven or smoker at 350 because the substrate absorbs so much of the heat energy, as well as supplying moisture to the rub. Nevertheless it's a good idea not to exceed a 325 cook temp if your rub has much sugar in it."

Pentwater, MI
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I almost always add brown sugar to whatever rub I'm using on my ribs and always cook in the 250-270* range for five hours.  Never had any burn problems here.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Memphis dust is pretty good...mostly brown and white sugar...I use it for ribs and butts unfoiled low and slow...never burns
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I use brown sugar, pepper, paprika, granular garlic, a bit of salt and just a touch cayenne pepper.  The result is mostly sweet rub with just a bit of heat.  Never had the rub burn but then I am a low and slow guy.

Gerhard
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Lots of rubs have brown sugar in them (mine does).  If you want even sweeter, drizzle some honey on the ribs during the cook.  I do this when I foil them.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have good luck with "sugar in the raw"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have good luck with "sugar in the raw"
    And then you have to go to a warming centre, I expect.
    NOLA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I use Brown Sugar on top of the rub to work as a binder as it melts.   Note this is heavy rub with an inside binder also - and is all about the bark.

I cannot tell any flavor difference with or without Brown Sugar on top of the rub layers.  It does help with bark.

If I wanted to sweeten the ribs, I would rub brown sugar directly on the meat, before anything else is applied.   Put your rub on top.

Just my thoughts - for what its worth.

Cookin in Texas