Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
Uncle Collin
Uncle Collin Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there any practical difference between packer cut brisket and market trim? I know there is a difference in price but that is not the question. My question is there any noticable ddifference in the finished product. Does one cook better than the other or tast better? I normally buy market trimed, but the local HEB had paker tim on sale for $0.97 which is less than half what market trim was selling for and a bought a 12 pound one. I am going to put it on the grill about five tomorrow evening for supper Thursday. After wressling with this one for about 45 minutes to get the excess fat off I am convinced that that I prefer to pay the extra price and let the butcher do the trimming.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Uncle Collin,
    The main difference is about 45 minutes for an inexperienced meat cutter. No difference at all in the finished product, unless they trim off too much fat.

• Bobby-Q,
    All I can ever find are flats so this may be a stupid question but…Why does the excess fat need to be trimmed off? Can’t the brisket just be cooked with all the fat and be trimmed post cook, at which time I assume it will be pretty easy. Perhaps this reduces flavor?

• jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    i've cooked my share of brisket and here's my $.02

if that inch of thick fat is left on, then its got to come off before you slice it... a brisket slice (on a plate) with a huge fat layer is not appealing, IMHO.
    if you ARE going to remove it, then why not trim it down to the generally accepted 1/4 inch thick and season it... now a small band of fat per slice DOES have some juicy goodness and can be eaten.

extra fat will lengthen the cook... you can easily remove 10% of the weight of a brisket by hastily chopping through that "hard fat". so 10% less meat will cook quicker and use less fuel.

I always prefer to save the money - I've only seen brisket flats or whole packer cuts, and i'd rather trim my own Point off and fat off than pay the higher price and not get to enjoy the delicious Point meat.

http://www.jaymer-que.com/gallery/?Qwd=./BBQ_Food_Pictures/Brisket/2005_04_23&Qif=jaymer_brisket1.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=M&Qtmp=FS#qdig

cheers,
    jaymer...