Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How do you know when your Maverick probe is going bad?

jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,249
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
My probe says 72 degrees outside but it's like 30.  I tested it in boiling water and it read 208, close enough right?  I'm not sure if I trust it.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!
·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 7,457
    edited January 2014
    it's fine, it's not like a Thermapen where it has a thermocouple at the tip.  Sorry to say, but no reading outside temp with your Maverick.   ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,249
    ok, good.  It used to be a little more accurate to outside temp so I was getting worried.,
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,234
    When you see LLL its done
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
    I have had an "HHH" reading but it has always been when the grill has been too hot(not low and slow) and once I got it cooled down again it worked fine.  I have never seen the "LLL"
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I knew my Maverick had gone bad when it indiscriminately started probing meat.
    Tjcoley said:
    I knew my Maverick had gone bad when it indiscriminately started probing meat.
    hmm...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,462
    I had LLL on my grid probe and it was done.  bought another but thought it was ind of pricey.  Anybody got a good source for replacement probes?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,821
    Internal temperature of the human body should be about 98.2.
    ·
    BYS1981 said:
    Internal temperature of the human body should be about 98.2.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • I just got my Maverick two weeks ago and last night during a low/slow the cook temp was LLL a few times.  Then I'd go and adjust the damper and the cook temp would go somewhere between 230-255 degrees.

Does that mean I have a bad unit???
    ·
    ColAngus said:
    I just got my Maverick two weeks ago and last night during a low/slow the cook temp was LLL a few times.  Then I'd go and adjust the damper and the cook temp would go somewhere between 230-255 degrees.

Does that mean I have a bad unit???
    no idea, maybe?  mine has said "HHH" only when above 500 degrees.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • Cookinbob said:
    I had LLL on my grid probe and it was done.  bought another but thought it was ind of pricey.  Anybody got a good source for replacement probes?
    Try this place ,.,. http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Replacement-Probes_c169.htm
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
    ·
  • BrowninggoldBrowninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2014
    This is per the manual... 8) The Barbecue Thermometer registers temperatures as low as 32 oF (0 oC) and as high as 572 oF (300 oC). LLL will be displayed below 32 oF and HHH will be displayed above 572 oF. Do not use the stainless probe sensor above 572 oF. Doing so will deteriorate the wire. I've had my 732 read LLL in the cold Michigan winters and after awhile (it was a long time 1/2 hr.)in the BBQ it had a accurate grid temp. http://www.maverickhousewares.com/manuals/ET-732.pdf
    ·