Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to do a clean burn...

Options
I was hoping to do a clean burn today just to clean off my egg and some stones...I was wondering if anyone has used briquettes for this?? Just asking so maybe I can save some of my lump by doing it this way

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I have yet to do a clean burn with either of my eggs. Really don't see the reason why.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• laserdoc85
    Options
    I did one a few months ago on my 13 year old egg because I thought I needed to. Wish I hadn't
    I wont do one again. I liked the way it was seasoned after so many years. Now I have to wait another 13 years to get it back to where she should be
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have clean burned before and it's not really necessary in most cases. I clean mine by making pizza.

The problem with briquettes is the ash they produce chokes the airflow. I have used them once in a pinch and noticed the egg didn't perform as well.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I like doing clean burns. Briquettes wont get hot enough and last long enough for full effect, imo. Go with some cheap lump like Royal Oak or Cowboy, fill up to top of fire ring, light in multiple spots, and let it run for a few hours. It's amazing how it will turn completely white again. I put in my platesetter, legs down, and put grate on top of that. Make sure to remove the dome tgermo, or you will risk breaking it. I've also heard of people cracking the base with extended high temps. A recent suggestion I heard was to go ahead and remove the bands and just sit the dome back on top of the base during clean burn. That prevents the pressure on the base when the heat causes the Egg to swell during high temp, reducing the likelihood of cracking. You'll have to remove the bands when you're done anyway, because the gasket will be ruined and you'll have to replace it....even the new high temp Nomex gaskets fry to a crisp.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Not sure why anyone would want to risk cracking their Egg or burning up their gasket for a clean burn ... that's just me though. I also do quite a bit of baking breads, pies, etc. Never have I felt a clean burn would benefit my Eggsperiences. ;)
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can let it run at 600* for an hour or 2 then scrub the inside with a wadded up ball of foil. This is all I have ever done and after 7yrs there is no flaky gunk inside my large.
    On another note I would heed caution to anyone removing bands to do a clean burn. IMHO - the metal bands expand at a quicker rate than the ceramic ( hence why people have bands slip after high heat pizza) and if it does crack the bands will help keep it together instead of falling to pieces with a big load of burning lump dumping out. Again just my opinion.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone!! I would say my main purpose to do a burn would be to clean my PS, pizza stone and deep dish pizza stone....but after reading that I could break things I am having second thoughts
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Toss them in your gas grill if you have one. Or use a neighbors. If they really bother you

Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just go 650 for a few hours as Matt suggested. I do it occasionally after a cook with only a small amount of lump left.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN