Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

1 inch to 1 1/4 inch New York Strips

GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,394

Are these steaks to thin to reverse sear? I have reverse seared 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick Strips at 250 indirect until 110/115 then pulled the plate setter and cranked it to 500/550 then seared  to 130/135. Any thoughts?

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Dimondale, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• jhl192jhl192 Posts: 998
    You can still do it but you need less time and for the sear and reverse sear.  Watch it closely.  Keep your Thermopen handy! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,978
    Personally I wouldn't bother for fear of over cooking them real quickly!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,316
    would be better with the hot tub and sear method, dont see much need for a roast and sear with thin steaks
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,394

Well they were good, I pulled the plate setter after indirect cooking some stuffed bacon wrapped dates and took it to 500 and grilled until 130 tented and rested while I grilled the asparagus and they were mighty fine.

Chuck

Dimondale, Michigan XL BGE