Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't even know what happened...My Last Brisket Cook with pics

Options
2»

Comments

• jeroldharter
    Options
    Did you monitor the temp in anyway during the overnight cook? Did you set the temp manually or with a controller like a DigiQ? Possibly the temp shot up for awhile during the cook and then came back down such that the meat temp in the center was 205 but the peripheral parts were burnt from the intermittent high temp.
  • shannonlcorum
    Options
    Newbie question, what are spacers and where might I get some?
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @Griffin take it easy on the SMU boys.  I am one of them.

@henapple you would THINK if the quality of the brisket was bad, the whole thing would have been JACKED UP...but this was the bottom 1/4 - 3/8 inch.  It was so uniform, the whole bottom was like shoe leather.  You can see in the picture that the  meat was brown.  

@jeroldharter  I did have my CyberQ on, but there was a little issue with the router in the middle of the night.  The temp did go up to 300 maybe 310 around 5am.  Big wind storm came in and I think was forcing air in from the top.  Still, if the egg had gone up in temp, let's just say for the sake of argument, to 500 for three hours, the whole brisket would have had a hard outer crust, not just the bottom.  

I just wonder if anyone else has ever had the fat drip into the drip pan, catch fire, and scorch the bottom of the meat...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

Newbie question, what are spacers and where might I get some?

Spacers are any material that won't melt, but will provide an air gap between a platesetter and drip pan. I personally use my 3 feet that can't with my medium, but eggs no longer come with feet. Bottle caps, pennies, etc all work.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I was under the impression a fire would extinguish once the egg was closed. Try it, light the egg, light some bacon grease on fire, and shut the lid.

I've always had the fire extinguish.