Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing lower vent with stainless

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just received my new stainles lower vent and can't find the posting that described installing it from earlier this summer. I am particularly interested in finding out recommendations for the required sealant.
Regards...
MW

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    81158.jpg
    <p />MW,[p]High temperature silicone is what you want. Like Tim says below in his online manual, black is nice. Permatex makes some black you should be able to find at NAPA or other auto parts stores as well as places like Wal-Mart. It it rated for 450°, but it can go higher. The red or orange is rated for higher temps like 600° I believe.[p]Check out the link below.[p]Z

[ul][li]Tim's Place[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    vent4-1.jpg
    <p />MW,[p]This link below the picture will take you to my webpage where I replaced my vent. Very easy.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M does the stainless vent install[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Options
    vent5.jpg
    <p />Zip,
    Black would be best (actually green would but they don't make it). I had some red silicone showing when I finished the project and I just grabbed a little ash and sprinkled it on the, still wet, silicone. Now its a dark gray and thats fine - better than red.[p]Tim

• Tim M
    Options
    vent5.jpg
    <p />Zip,
    Black would be best (actually green would but they don't make it). I had some red silicone showing when I finished the project and I just grabbed a little ash and sprinkled it on the, still wet, silicone. Now its a dark gray and thats fine - better than red.[p]Tim

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Tim M,[p]You shouldn't have told me that. I thought from the pics that you had done a perfect job with none of the red showing. Silicone is like that expanding squirt foam, a little will go a long way. [p]It just goes to show you that simple ideas work very well, no rocket surgery or brain science.....[p]Ashley[p]

• MW
    Options
    Tim M, tahnk you.... just what I needed.
    MW

• MW
    Options
    Tim M, Thank you very much.
    MW[p]

• Tim M
    Options
    Zip,
    Well, actually --- no I got some in the wrong places, but it easily wipped off. I didn't even notice the problem when the Egg was on its side in the operating room, it was after I uprighted him that I saw <FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="4">"RED"</FONT></FONT>. The problem was that the silicone needs to fill some pretty wide gaps to keep the air from going around it. By sprinkling ash on it - it turned dardk gray - rather nice actually. You can't even detect it unless you were looking for it.[p]Tim