Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 oz filet mignon

Options
I recently had the experience of eating a medium rare 12 oz filet mignon at Bobby Van's in Manhattan and decided that hands down it is the best steak I have ever eaten. My normal "go to" steak is a 1" ribeye and I have never cooked a steak as thick as the one I had at Bobby Van's.  I've read Naked Whiz' trex method and am up to giving that a shot, but before I mess up some really expensive steak, does anybody have any additional comments they can add regarding filet mignon that might differ from the guide at nakedwhiz?

BTW...I am now several years into cooking Mad Max turkeys so if there is anything I will trust, it is a technique from nakedwhiz. I just hate to mess this up.

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I like the reverse sear better and have done it for Filet's a few times. It's basically TREX backwards.
    Cook the filet indirect to desired IT 105-110 then remove platesetter and crank the heat and sear
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im a trex fan, not sure what the whiz does. one thing thats important is to tie it, bacon helps but string works better, if its not tied it flops flat and uneven and doesnt cook as uniformely. the one you had was probably tied, cooked, string removed, and then served. sauces or even herbed butter help tenderloins, not much flavor as is. the ribeyes your buying are too thin to really cook properly unless your hottubbing them, buy thicker ribeyes even if you have to split one big one

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • finaltable
    Options
    fishless: What exactly did you do to the rice in that picture? It looks delicious!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    it was some bernaise sauce added to the rice and under the tenderloin. probably a knorrs package of brenaise, i can drink the stuff :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    I always do the TREX method. But, the last steak I cooked I put my cast iron pan in my egg and got it around 700 degrees and the dropped my filet in the CI pan and seared it on both sides , then took it out and did the Trex method..best steak I've had!!!!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Options

I used to be a Reverse Sear fan, but recently did the TREX method and prefer it

I find its easier to test the temp of the meat during the low-heat phase with the TRex. In the case of the reverse sear it’s hard to test the meat while the egg is at 700 in the searing phase of the cook.

• finaltable
    Options
    I find testing the meat at 700 degrees removes all the hair from my arm when I reach over the fire.