Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex Steak-The Movie

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
TREX-TheMovie.jpg
<p />Okay, I did it. The movie on cooking a Trex Steak is done and ready for viewing. A few points.
I know you don't use a fork to turn the meat, but I did. Sorry, I shot this thing by myself and there are a lot of things I would have done differently, but view this thing in the spirit in which it was intended. If you have never done a Trex, this will show you how. Anyway, the damn steak was outstanding!
You will need QuickTime to view and a high speed connection can't hurt anything either.
Enjoy.[p]Uncle Phil

[ul][li]Trex Steak-The Movie[/ul]

Comments

• Uncle Phil,
    Hollywood here we come!!

• Canuck
    Canuck Posts: 20
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Great job on the video!!!![p]Canuck

• Essex County
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Great video! Great kitchen! It really gets the point across that you can cook great stuff on the egg.[p]Oh yeah, great steak![p]Paul

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    you did a fantastic job, all I had missing was the popcorn and a cold beer. I had to peek at you on the weather channel, NOW THATS FUNNY !!!
    hehehehe

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Uncle Phil,[p]Nicely done! All that was missing was the BANG cause you cranked it up a notch![p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I believe the majic word is "BAM"! :~)

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Uncle Phil, I have both Quick Time and Broad Band. When I click on 'TrexSteak-The Movie' it takes me to your site, then I hear this 'bleep', then all I get is a black, blank window which appears to have shutters on the sides.
    Any clue? Thanks, I would have liked to view the movie!

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    CJ,
    You are at the site and that is the frame work for the movie. I just checked it and it was fine. It has been seen 259 times since last night. The only thing I can think of is your computer may be buffering the start-up. Just for grins, unplug your modem and then reconnect in about 30 seconds and also restart your machine. Sometimes that fixes things on this end.[p]Uncle Phil

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Uncle Phil,[p]Great video! Both audio and video quality are excellent as are transitions etc.
    Only one question (issue) and that is, why use the fork to turn the steak? I was told long ago to avoid piercing the surface of meat when turning. I now have several pairs of tongs that see regular use. I received on of those "pig tail" like meat turners at Eggtoberfest that I have yet to use.[p]Inquiring minds want to know!![p]Smokey

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Excellent job!! Now I feel like steak and eggs for breakfest.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    CJ,[p]Yeah, but I think that's a registered trade mark. :)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Uncle Phil,[p]Two thumbs up!!!! BTW, very nice outdoor kitchen. I'm planning to do somthing similar in a few years. Did you do it yourself or did you contract it out?
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Smokey,
    Did you read my intro to the video? I know you ain't pos ta use no blasted fork, but that was all I had that night. I was careful tho! I bouught one of the piggy-tailed things from Lawn Ranger and it works so good made me want to take it down to the local Texas Roadhouse and get me a dad-burned job flippin steaks![p]Uncle Phil said that.

• Smokey
    Options
    Uncle Phil,[p]I totally missed the "fork" comment in your post (oops). Hope I didn't rustle any feathers. The video is great and I look forward to seeing them each time you post![p]Smokey

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    TideJoe,
    I designed it and helped a couple of buddies of mine build it. The whole project, from tear down to complete restoration of the backyard with new pool was 9-months. Thanks for the nice words![p]Uncle Phil

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    Smokey,
    No worries, I knew as soon as I did it that the fork was not the tool. Honestly, I did the video to test a new boom mic I bought and the video was a sidebar.
    The only lighting I used was from the outdoor kitchen and I would have loved some iso cut-away shots of Dizzy Dust being applies, etc.[p]Phil

• Smokey
    Options
    Uncle Phil,[p]Sound was good. Lighting was fine as well. I guess you could get a wireless lapel mike, some high end lighting (with umbrellas, etc.), but whatever you use for editing makes the results look really good![p]I think you need to start the Uncle Phil show on afternoon TV (oh wait, that might be confused with Dr. Phil).[p]Cheers![p]Smokey
  • Uncle Phil,
    GREAT Movie I loved it Please keep them comming.
    Regards
    PIG PEN

• KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    Options
    Uncle Phil, awesome video, I love stuff likt that, great job. You might have opened up a can of worms, now everyone will want a demo of every meal. I did have a couple of comments so the newbies don’t get too confused with terminology….[p]The meat Contracts under heat so it needs to Rest or expand allowing the juices to pull back into the meat. The 20 minutes is a Rest and the final cook is a Dwell or bake.[p]That steak looked so good I’m gonna have to TRex tonight.
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    KBuck,[p]thanks for the corrections.[p]Phil

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    Smokey,
    You sound like you have a video/photography background. I have a complete light kit with softboxes and more, but didn't break them out for this shoot. Actually I was using a shotgun boom mic which was what i was really testing that night. I have to redo the video since I learned meat contracts under heat and dwell is something different than i thought it was. See, the video was educational![p]Uncle Phil

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    Uncle Phil,[p]Any excuse to T-Rex another steak and show folks what they're missing would be fine by me. [p]LOL[p]BTW, love the outdoor kitchen and waterside pool. You need a houseboy?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Hey, that was great! Beautiful set up and filming.
    What's next- spatchcock chicken? Or maybe your great looking ribs?
    Clay

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Changed link to movie on T-Rex steak.[p]Thanks,[p]Phil

[ul][li]T-Rex Movie[/ul]