Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preliminary eval of Maverick 733

Options
I was REALLY skeptical about this purchase based on my wide-ranging inability to operate digital devices and, more important, the widespread reports (here and elsewhere) of probe and other failures.  While long-term reliability remains to be proven, the concept has certainly proven itself over the course of my first three cooks "remote control" cooks.  After a couple clumsy tries I have the programming figured out, everything functions exactly as advertised and the receiver works fine in my office and downstairs in the shop, each at least 150 feet and LOTS of walls away from the egg.  Right now it's drizzling outside and the temperature is dropping like a rock but I'm warm and dry here on the BGE forum, monitoring my beer can chicken from afar.  I'll follow up if stuff stops working but for this newb, this was a GOOD purchase.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Good to hear about the strength of the signal. Been debating if I need one. I can see how it can come in handy in winter months. Thanks for the info!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jenericzac
    Options
    Does anybody else have issues seeing the screen on the 733? If I look at it dead on you can't even tell that the unit is on but if I look at it from an angle I can see the numbers clearly.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Keep us posted on how it holds up. My old Maverick 73 (not even 732) will no longer transmit 5 feet. Thinking its time for an upgrade.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Good deal......I have a crate of them on order.  Can't wait to grab one for myself!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The et-73 had significant transmission/range issues because it only had an internal antenna. They fixed that by adding an external antenna on the 732, but then they had issues with the probes. I hope they fixed the probe issues for the et-733 - may need to upgrade if its a robust device. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    I've had a 732 for a couple seasons now. No problems with range or probes. Thinking of getting the 733 also. I purchased the igrill for the iPad/iPhone and not liking that unit...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I just now looked at your handle and really read it. That is greatness.

=))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    edited January 2014
    Options

Does anybody else have issues seeing the screen on the 733? If I look at it dead on you can't even tell that the unit is on but if I look at it from an angle I can see the numbers clearly.

Yes I noticed this last night. I could barely see it to set it up. I had to keep rolling it back and forth to see the screen. It looked fuzzy.

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've had a 732 for a couple seasons now. No problems with range or probes. Thinking of getting the 733 also. I purchased the igrill for the iPad/iPhone and not liking that unit...
    I bought the iGrill unit twice... and returned them twice. Bluetooth just doesn't work for my setup. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Really enjoying my 733.  I walk around my house with the remote unit on with no issues.  My wife even loves checking the cooks! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

For what it is worth, I am using the 732 and it works perfect. Of course, I just got it for Christmas.

Also, FYI, I found these and bought a couple, just in case. Does anyone know of a less expensive resource for probes ??  I want to build a set from scratch (probes) but I haven't had time to put them together yet. When I do I will post directions. ( If someone has already posted their homemade design, I could not find it by searchin the forum or online).

A Maze N Products

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAVET-732PROBE

Thanks gang,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• nick_banich
    Options
    I got it for Christmas, haven't had a chance to use it with the -32 degree windchill here.  Pretty sure that might cause some harm to the unit
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• legomyeggo
    Options
    I have a 732 and transmission is ok. Accuracy seems variable. I use it more to get general idea as to when I need to check with thermopen.
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    I have been using my 732 for a little over a year. This thing is a workhorse for me. Super accurate with great range. Must have in your arsenal.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    My 732 sits outside next to the BGE. In the elements. Save for getting replacement probes a while back, no problems or complaints. Still running the first set of batteries even !!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Orthobear
    Options
    I got a 733 for Christmas but haven't been able to use it yet. After I opened it, I was trying to unscrew the screws to access the battery compartment in the transmitter and the screw stripped. Needless to say I'm not a huge fan so far. We'll see how it works if I can get a battery into it.
    Houston, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Yeah, I like my 732 too. I did a beef roast the other day. It was a 6 hour cook, start to finish. Only had to go outside to make a minor adjustment now and then.
    Dave - Austin, TX