Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Rack of lamb, red wine reduction, with grilled romaine... best egged meal yet.

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I'm usually more humble, but I truly knocked this one out of the park.

Rack of lamb from Costco. Trimmed some of the hard fat, hit it with DP Cowlick, then in the sous vide for 24 hours at 132°F. Fired up the mini the next day and made the sauce while it was coming to temp - EVOO, onions garlic, thyme, chives, beef broth, jus from the lamb, red wine, butter. Simmered until  syrupy, then strained all the solids out. 

Seared the rack a minute per side. I cut the rack in 2 halves, so I could sear SWMBO's half longer. 

Grilled baby romaine - drizzled  white truffle oil, and  balsamic on the cut sides then dusted on some DP Pineapple Head. Grilled for about 2 mins after the lamb was done and resting.

My mediocre photography skills did not do this meal justice.

First bite of the lamb was a full-blown foodgasm. I can honestly say I have never had lamb this tender before. The red wine reduction was a perfect complement to the lamb. Could possibly be even better with a balsamic reduction. I have been wanting to try grilled romaine for a long time, and I'm glad I finally did - it was amazing for something as boring as lettuce! SWMBO agreed that the sous vide gizmo was a good purchase :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• bclarksicle
    Options
    *slow clap*

That looks outstanding
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    The student has become the master!! That looks fantabulous!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's awesome! ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Wow...@Griffin is right.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a home run for sure.  I had a minor foodgasm just looking at it!  

I also got a sous vide under the tree so I will be trying this one out. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    Options
    Thanks, fellas. I'm liking the sous vide - its kind of a fancy crockpot, but actually helps meal planning. The original plan was to set up the sous vide on Sat and  hot tub the lamb for 48 hrs until Monday, then a quick sear, and a gourmet restaurant-quality meal is ready in very little time. I just need to work on the logistics of my sous vide operation a bit. I might try something like setting up 2 proteins on the weekend so we can pull them out for weeknight cooks... 24 hr chicken breasts, 48 hr lamb, 72 short ribs, etc. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cali, Your numbers seem long from what I have read and done. Where are you getting them? Everything I've done for a long period has been mushy unless it was really tough to begin with. I have an eye of the round in for 48 hours now but wouldn't go 24 on chicken breasts. Curious here?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That really looks great...We did Hanger Steak SV a couple weeks ago. Just put a package of mushroom soup mix on the frozen hanger and resealed it. Only did about 8-9 hours at 160. Turned out real nice. Next time I will go at least 24 hours.
    Did a couple ribeye steaks but the fat was nasty tasting after SV and a sear.
    Seems like we have had much better luck with leaner cuts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    I do my rack of lamb for 2 hrs sous vide then finish them off. 
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • caliking
    Options
    Cali, Your numbers seem long from what I have read and done. Where are you getting them? Everything I've done for a long period has been mushy unless it was really tough to begin with. I have an eye of the round in for 48 hours now but wouldn't go 24 on chicken breasts. Curious here?
    The numbers sound off because I made them up. Remember  - you're dealing with a sous vide n00b here. 

Maybe I won't go 24hrs on the chicken breasts then. Scrap that plan. Trying to learn the SV ropes, so things are still experimental. Would rack of lamb be good after 48hrs? It was terrific after 24hrs.

A question for ya - is it okay to sous vide 2-3 racks of lamb stacked on top of each other in something like the Sous Vide Supreme Demi? 

Photo Egg said:
    How long did you sous vide the ribeyes for? I did some recently, but due to time constraint and too much sh!t going on, only had them in the sous vide for 5 hours. They were edge to edge med-rare, but I felt that they could have been even better with a longer bath. 

There was a fair bit of fat on the rack of lamb, towards the frenched bone side. It was tasty - nice fatty flavor, but rich, which is why I think a balsamic reduction would be great with this. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:
    The numbers sound off because I made them up. Remember  - you're dealing with a sous vide n00b here. 

Maybe I won't go 24hrs on the chicken breasts then. Scrap that plan. Trying to learn the SV ropes, so things are still experimental. Would rack of lamb be good after 48hrs? It was terrific after 24hrs.

A question for ya - is it okay to sous vide 2-3 racks of lamb stacked on top of each other in something like the Sous Vide Supreme Demi? 

Photo Egg said:
    How long did you sous vide the ribeyes for? I did some recently, but due to time constraint and too much sh!t going on, only had them in the sous vide for 5 hours. They were edge to edge med-rare, but I felt that they could have been even better with a longer bath. 

There was a fair bit of fat on the rack of lamb, towards the frenched bone side. It was tasty - nice fatty flavor, but rich, which is why I think a balsamic reduction would be great with this. 
    You mean in one bag? I put two in one bag with the bones stacked side by side. There is a certain thickness you are supposed to stay under, I think it's 3 1/4". I would post a link but I can't. Google polyscience sous vide cooking chart. Everything I see from sous vide supreme has a lot of arithmetic. I do chicken breasts for an hour or so, don't worry if you go to two. Rack of lamb up to 4 hours. The polyscince chart gives you min and max times for tough and tender cuts. I have been going too long on some stuff and it breaks down too much. Semi tough beef is the worst, sirloin round and chuck. Lamb shanks I would go 24 hours or more.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    I meant stacked as in two separate bags on top of each other, maybe with spacers in between to allow water in between the bags?

I have that Polyscience chart saved for ready reference, but it seems that folks are often doing long extended SV cooks here, so I was just wondering. 

• Little Steven
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I did a eye of round and rib roast last night in the same bath. I'm not sure of the mechanics of the demi but I've seen baldwin do multiple items in the same cook. As far as the cooking times go I am a newb too. I just know that the long cooks I've done with beef have produced stew instead of the sliceable stuff I was looking for. That said I'm doubling the time on the eye of the round cause it wasn't tender enough after 24 hours last time. I have a lot of lamb racks in the freezer from a half price sale so I may try a longer go when I get back from holidays.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks amazing cali! Great job!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    WOW!  Now you made me really cursing myself...  I defrosted a nice boneless NZ leg of lamb couple of days ago, seasoned it, researched the time/temp (varies all over the map in the interweb) to the nth degree and was all set on SV it @133 for 24 hours.  Unfortunately I changed my plan and ended up cooking it in the kitchen box and now I see your post  >:P

Well, live and learn, still have two more lamb roasts in the freezer.
    LS, you call that long?  If you look at page 228 of Modernist Cuisine at home (yes, my Christmas present too!), it recommends at least 144F for 48 hours for lamb shoulder and shank.  I'm still confused with this SV time/temp thing, it's like the wild west!
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    WOW!  Now you made me really cursing myself...  I defrosted a nice boneless NZ leg of lamb couple of days ago, seasoned it, researched the time/temp (varies all over the map in the interweb) to the nth degree and was all set on SV it @133 for 24 hours.  Unfortunately I changed my plan and ended up cooking it in the kitchen box and now I see your post  >:P

Well, live and learn, still have two more lamb roasts in the freezer.
    LS, you call that long?  If you look at page 228 of Modernist Cuisine at home (yes, my Christmas present too!), it recommends at least 144F for 48 hours for lamb shoulder and shank.  I'm still confused with this SV time/temp thing, it's like the wild west!
    Exactly. What dies it say for rack/tenderloin?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    @Canugghead - the times in the Sous Vide Supreme and Polyscience reference charts seem short to me, which is why I wanted to do a few long cooks and see what happens. 

Do you like the Modernist Cuisine book's SV recipes? I may buy it if it sounds useful. 

And envy goes both ways - I didn't even post my salmon cook from the weekend after seeing your  ghee-basted salmon thread :)

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I like!

Options
    Exactly. What dies it say for rack/tenderloin?
    Good question, page 228 talks about water temp and time for tough cut of meat.
    Whereas page 192 covers tender cuts (like rib eye and pork tenderloin, etc), suggests meat IT 133F for medium rare, no mention of water temp/time.  Several recipes show use of regular zip lock bag with thermometer inserted into the meat. Now I'm more confused!  
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    @caliking, haven't tried any recipes from the book yet.  It sure is interesting, the photography is amazing, definitely great for coffee table if nothing else!  Still not so sure about some SV time/temp in it, e.g. lamb at 144F for 48 hours, won't it turn to mush?  few other random observations ... many recipes/methods on pressure cooking; beef jerky made in microwave; tuna confit with olive oil packed in mason jar then SV; vacuum pickled vegetables; chicken slow baked in oven at 170F...   
    canuckland
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wow! The good heavy browning at the end for flavor, and perfectly cooked inside from sous vide. Cool as hell. Thanks for sharing, and for including Dizzy.

I'm inspired.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Lamb shoulder and shanks are 3rd category cuts.  Rack of lamb is a primary cut that requires a LOT less time.  Just sayin'
    In the "real world" outside of sous vide, lol you need to cook shoulder or shank for a long time, bbq or braise or whatever.  A rack or a chop you cook like a "steak."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    When I took a sous vide course at Le Notre about 14 years ago, we did a recipe where you get red wine, reduce by half, get some onions and carmelize the heck outta them, mix the two, put in a bag with a seasoned beef shoulder.  There is a huge piece of fat in the middle of the shoulder that turns to goodness.  
    I apply that technique to all sorts of 2nd and 3rd cuts with great success.  I find for most meats, it's nice to have them cook in "something" rather than just seasoned.  
     Brillat-Savarin
  • caliking
    Options
    @Canugghead - well... a belated Hanukkah gift to myself may just be in order then. I have 3 pressure cookers, so that aspect may be interesting, although from the perspective of Indian cooking there isn't much "modernist" about it :) I think I'll add it to my next Amazon buy. SV at 144°F does sound a bit high, since its past medium rare? I guess experimentation will tell. 

Wow! The good heavy browning at the end for flavor, and perfectly cooked inside from sous vide. Cool as hell. Thanks for sharing, and for including Dizzy.

I'm inspired.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris
    The sauce was unreal. Sauces are a new thing for me, and this one was my best effort yet. As for the DP rubs, I've been trying them this past year, and have really liked them. Just got the Pineapple Head recently, and it was fabulous on the grilled romaine. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I love rack of lamb and that looks great!! Gotta get a sous vide one of these days.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Canugghead - well... a belated Hanukkah gift to myself may just be in order then. I have 3 pressure cookers, so that aspect may be interesting, although from the perspective of Indian cooking there isn't much "modernist" about it :) I think I'll add it to my next Amazon buy. SV at 144°F does sound a bit high, since its past medium rare? I guess experimentation will tell. 

144 for shoulder which isn't a primary meat cut.  What temp do you cook pork shoulder to?
     Brillat-Savarin
  • caliking
    Options
    @ringkingpin - I'll try adding the red wine reduction to the bag prior to SV next time. Thanks for the tip.

• Little Steven
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Cali, @rinkingpin is referring to is second and third quality cuts. I wouldn't put an acid in with a rack or any tender cut

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    LS - duly noted. Maybe I'll try the reduction with a lamb shank or beef short ribs.