Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Pellet ?s

Options

Does anybody know where to get them in Dallas? Or do I need to order off Amazon?

How much do you need to fill the A-Maze Smoker for a bacon cook? I see on Amazon that they have one pound bags and I'm kind of leaning towards getting a few different flavors (ie, hickory, apple and maybe pecan). Not sure I want to get stuck with a 20lb bag of hickory as I like variety. What are your thoughts on that?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Ace? Is Traeger not that popular in Texas.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I have no idea. Haven't walked into a bbq store or looked at grills in years. I'll call ACE.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Academy has pellets for about half the price that Amazon does. B&B brand I think, 20# bags. I think @henapple recently bought some sort of variety pack which is also available on Amazon.

The ANS takes only a handful or so of pellets. A 20# lbs bag will last a loooong time, so I would get the the 1# bags if you are looking for variety.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Options

Thanks @yzzi Found out there is an ACE store less than 5 miles away from my house that I didn't even know about. They carry the pellets in 20lb bags, have 3 different flavors and I can't remember what she said the prices were but I think they were 14, 15 and 17 a bag. Cheaper than the Traeger ones on Amazon.

@caliking thanks for the tip. I might check out Academy. I tend to avoid that place unless I know the bank account is full. I can go to town in there. I'll keep looking and see if I can find that variety pack.

Rowlett, Texas

• laserdoc85
    Options
    10 pound bags of lumberjack pellets from http://www.bbqpelletsonline.com/index.php/compare-pellet-brands/our-flavors.
    Lumberjack is all I use
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    not sure where to get them, but looked into it a year or two ago and found that traeger were not real pellets, not real in that they are mostly flavored with say cherry, not actual cherry wood, i would look for a better brand.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    not sure where to get them, but looked into it a year or two ago and found that traeger were not real pellets, not real in that they are mostly flavored with say cherry, not actual cherry wood, i would look for a better brand.
    X1,,,, I have about 10 pounds of traeger that I'm tossing out. Lumberjack uses the bark from the trees in all their pellets. That's where the flavor lives. Plus they are from Hayward Wisc.
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Griffin
    Options
    OK. So maybe not get the Traeger. Looking for any and all recommendations.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    Options
    I think this is the one henapple got:

If you read the single review, it seems that he calls himself "Jody" now. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I picked these up off of amazon. Probably enough to do a belly. Includes Sassafras, mulberry and a mix of other
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Options

I did find that one @caliking

@henappleare you saying one bag would be enough to do the belly? No idea what I would do with sassafras or mulberry? At $15 plus $5 for shipping, I might just be better off with the 19lb bag of Lumberjack for $23 (shipping free with prime) Leaning towards the Oak Hickory Cherry blend...

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    Options
    I've used my ANS a grand total of ONE time (smoked some cheese), so don't believe everything I say. 

In trying to research the whole pellet smoking operation, I read somewhere that using pellets made entirely from a specific wood doesn't yield optimal results. Pellets made from oak and whatever wood (cherry, apple, hickory, etc) yield better results in terms of flavor and burn. The B&B ones are a mix of oak and whatever wood you want. Some other brands are flavored with cherry, apple, etc but the pellets are made form oak. The lumberjack blend may be pretty good. If I ever finish my 20# bag of apple pellets I may try that next.

• laserdoc85
    Options
    I use and like the lumberjack hickory,maple,cherry blend,,, MHC
    10 pounds for 16 bucks with free shipping
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • henapple
    Options
    Just don't by a twenty lb bag. I'll use the mulberry and others on fruit and experiment with other stuff.
  • Griffin
    Options

Ordered the Maze and the 19 lb bag of Lumberjack OHC blend. I've been wanting to order this for a long time now, but have been putting it off. Once I decided today was the day, I got antsy and couldn't wait any longer. I think the smoke blend will work for me. I like my bacon savory and not sweet, so I opted for the OHC and not the MHC.

Onto the bacon question. I understand that the Charcuterie recipe calls for a brine of about a week. Well, I was "gifted" some pork belly by my brother awhile back. It's labeled pork/chunk single rib belly. With so much surface area, do you think it really needs a 7 day brine? I was thinking of starting it tomorrow and smoking it Saturday or Sunday. I want to do a full belly, but I got to get rid of this stuff first.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    Options
    Are those 2 pieces per package, or are they sliced? The Asian markets usually have good deals on pork belly here, but I'll swing by H-mart for a package to experiment with. 

• Griffin
    Options
    2 hunks per package as far as my memory serves. Will pull them out of the freezer tonight. Someobdy mentioned when I first got them that it wasn't really a great price. I didn't pay for them, but told my brother what he said.

Rowlett, Texas

• laserdoc85
    Options
    7 days. Do it just like it says.so there wont be any questions in your mind. Keep it sealed up in a bag for 7 days. Take it out and rinse it then stick it back in the frig for 24 hours to dry before you smoke it.
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Griffin
    edited January 2014
    Options

@laserdoc85 I was able to find the post where I originally asked.

Rowlett, Texas

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    call Todd Johnson @ A-Maze-Smoker 1(952) 412-0484 he is very helpful and he has every flavor you could ever want of smoking  pellets
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • b0atnutz
    Options
    Thank You  Charles, where you able to purchase the curing salt from him as well?
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    b0atnutz no I didn't even try I got some curing salt from a Italian pork store they make their own pancetta  soppressatta and all the italian cured meats and I asked if they sell the curing salt and they sold me some 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • henapple
    Options
    Try Sport's Academy. . I've got several bottles. .I'll send you one.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Griffin said:

Onto the bacon question. I understand that the Charcuterie recipe calls for a brine of about a week. Well, I was "gifted" some pork belly by my brother awhile back. It's labeled pork/chunk single rib belly. With so much surface area, do you think it really needs a 7 day brine? I was thinking of starting it tomorrow and smoking it Saturday or Sunday. I want to do a full belly, but I got to get rid of this stuff first

Not completely sure- but I think the duration of the brine is to actually get the meat to firm up a bit as well-  Good luck!

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Griffin
    Options

I'll be watching the bacon to see how long it takes to firm up. Got it defrosted and the cure on it last night. Just so you can seem, here's a picture. It is over 5 pounds, but it is cut into 4 slabs. Not ideal, but what I have to work with.

Rowlett, Texas

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Griffin said:

I'll be watching the bacon to see how long it takes to firm up. Got it defrosted and the cure on it last night. Just so you can seem, here's a picture. It is over 5 pounds, but it is cut into 4 slabs. Not ideal, but what I have to work with.

I doubt that will need a 7 day soak. Before smoking it, trim a small piece off and fry it. If it's too salty soak it in water for a couple hours before setting in the fridge for the pellicle to form.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker